Mountain Buzz banner

SOTAR Strike Vs Aire SDP

Tags
aire
10K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Osseous 
#1 ·
Looking for a new fishing raft and these two seem to fit the bill well for me. Curious to know if anyone can help me understand how they compare on the water. Will be used for day trips on MT rivers with 1-2 passengers. Already have a frame that would work for either.

Sotar seems to have a flatter design, more interior room, and less wind resistance. Maybe tracks better but slower to turn? What ar the real world implications of the asymmetrical design?

Any thoughts on the i-beam vs aire floor?

SDP is marketed as a great drift boat alternative, but not sure what exactly makes it better or worse than the strike, which apparently is purpose built.

Any thoughts appreciated.

#2 ·
I'm sure I'm in the minority but whatever. No raft is a drift boat alternative, it will never row as nice as a drift boat, no matter what. I'm of the OPINION that if you're going for a raft, get as much interior room as you can. I personally dislike the SDP design (I have an R series). I can fish just as much water as someone as an SDP but when I sit in either seat of the boat my knees aren't up by my neck. I would never trade the interior room of my raft for a little bit more maneuverability in what...class 1-2 water? I grew up in Missoula and still visit frequently, there isn't a ton of fishing sections there that have any real whitewater.

The Strike is popular there for a reason, its flat, good interior room, and isn't suitable for whitewater. I'd say go for the Strike or at least consider an aire boat with more interior room.

I'll let someone else tell you about the bladder vs no bladder system etc. I love my aire, I beat it up and it has never given me a problem. I'm a happy customer.

#4 ·
I find the SDP small and tippy for fishing- though a lot of folks swear by them. The Strike was designed specifically for your water and your stated needs by a guy who knows his shit.

Another one to look at is the Jacks Plastic boat- they do a fishing specific design that looks really nice. Curved drop stitch floor is a great design and beneficial in a fishing boat.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

#5 ·
I think the strike is a far superior design - truly constant rocker, wider, roomier, lighter. low wind resistance as alread mentioned. They only come with 2 chambers which I don't like. t think it's $125 to add another chamber (I'd add 2). I don't agree that they're not good for white water, they're low but still adequate for just about anything your likely to jump on while fishing including the bigger water nearby (MF, Main, flatheads, etc.) No I don't think you'd want one on really big water or high stakes runs but that's not what it's designed for. A strike will row more like a driftboat than any other raft. Not saying you'd be comparing apples to apples but definitely the closest soft rig.

The biggest drawback is the difference in warranty. It wasn't something I'd considered when I bought my SL (btw, I went back and forth between strike and sl for my mostly fishing boat) but given recent revelations on their warranty stance things my be different if I had it to do over again now.

If I went aire, it wouldn't be a SDP, it would be a 143 D, with sealed floor, FWIW. I like the width and extra capacity of the wider boat. I know Shapp loves him his puma's, but for me I like a wider boat.

I used to own both a DB and rafts. In the beggining I was 90% hard boat, by the end I was 95% raft. Main reason is here in montana, they're easier to launch in random spots, float much higher and can squeze into skinner spots. You can float sideways will sipping cocktails in 4 inches of water... try that in a hard boat. I get asked that question alot - which should I get and my answer is always, if all you do is fish, pound the banks, back row your ass off and fish, fish, fish then get a hard boat. If you like to explore, change things up and booze cruis mixed in with hard core fishing get a raft. If you want to get into multi days and/or have kids in your future, get a raft.

Get a cat if you want to play in white water. I can't stand fishing out of them and they won't compare to an equally properly rigged strike. It'll be floating several inches higher and every bit as maneuverable.

Good luck.

#7 ·
SOTAR wins in a stand up toe to toe, but AIRE has a better ground game. If SOTAR can't finish the fight in the first two rounds then AIRE will ground and pound out the last 3 rounds and take a split decision. Unless warrantee comes into play. Then AIRE will get the submission by tap out because SOTAR is a coward.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.