Sotar II Project boat-I'm optomistic
I spent the weekend taking apart, cleaning up and inspecting a project boat I was given from a friend with too many projects. From what I can find on the Interweb, the boat is from the early 90s? She's long and lean at 15'x6.5' with 20" tubes. After a good cleaning all the valves sealed up and the PVC is in good shape for the shape she's in.
If you look at the pics you can see the main issue is the lacing is unglued from the floor and in places around the tubes. The floor has no holes and holds air well. There are 5 or so small holes and the same number of pin holes in the tubes. They are roughly the size of a nickle (see pic). I feel confident I can patch the holes, but I found myself scratching my head trying to figure out what to do about reattaching the floor. My first thought was to re-glue all the pieces back in their rightful place, reattach the floor and use a drop floor off the, yet-to-be-built frame. However, my next thought was it will probably fall apart again, so what about using grommets in the floor and re-lacing it that way...... or forget the floor all together and run a round cat boat. This brings me to y'all. I'm looking for suggestions and feedback. Due to $$$ constraints, I'm trying to keep the price low and just want to get her back on the water for booze cruzin. I'm still working on frame ideas and am leaning towards a wood frame (66"x82"), but I can also get 20' aluminum tubes for $3 per foot at Pacific Steel in Missoula. Let me know what you think. All the Best!
PS- Sorry for the side ways pics.