Old 01-11-2014   #11
TV, Idaho
Okay, so Sotar's DS and WIB floors are both good...

Is it safe to say that if your primary use is fly fishing, which includes some bony rivers, that the DS has an advantage in getting you where you want to fish with less likelihood of issues?

M3mphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014   #12
Searching for water....., Nevada
Not safe to say that at all! Drop stitch is a cool technology that may offer some advantages but the durability and performance with the different manufacturers is still unproven.

I would love to do a side by side comparison to see the performance differences.

Pinned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014   #13
Orange, California
Paddling Since: 2013
I talked to Sotar about the DS vs. I-beam floors before ordering my boat, and they said it would help a bit with making the boat more maneuverable, and would be more stable for standing, but it's heavier and would also make the boat harder to roll up. Since I'll be rolling it every trip to put in my van, I went with the I-beam floor.
GoRiverGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #14
NorCal, California
Paddling Since: 91
I would and did go with the ibeam because it's more durable. Keep in mind the DS floor has thousands of tiny threads keeping the two layers from separating. So it's harder to dry out the interior and more susceptible to rot and it's easy to get a small amount of water in any floor which is no big deal with the ibeam design.
Remember we're talking about a urethane boat so both floors are fairly stiff with the DS one being slightly more. I seriously doubt you would notice any difference in tracking at all.
Wavester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014   #15
The Go Light Guy
Joshua Tree, California
Paddling Since: 1980
Go Floorless!

Just kidding because I run cats! My rafting buds swear that the I-beam tracks better and the DS aids maneuverability. Makes sense to me from a design standpoint. As for durability, I've seen plenty of I-beams from all manufacturers blow out, but few problems with DS noted. Probably because most of the boats are sold with I-beams. It is not an unproven technology though, having been around for longer than self-bailers. Just been used in the raft world for the last couple of decades. Your choice. Oh, the SL series of rafts from Sotar are great and I'll get you one (or a cat or an IK) anytime for the best price around!
nnikirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014   #16
boizee, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1984
Good post Neil till that last line. I just never thought it right to use forums like this for the purpose of blatant commercial promotion. Others may disagree.

With all due respect (and I do actually mean that),

boicatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014   #17
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
The Buzz does have the Partner's Forum for commercial posts. You pay to support the Buzz and then get to post in that forum. It was in direct response to over-commercialization and to give businesses a good place to alert Buzzards to their offerings. It works pretty well. Really you don't want to be like the Saturn hawker who mostly seems gone. Cheers!

I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote