Old 03-08-2011   #1
Kimberly, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1983
Small enclosed trailer idea for rafts & kayaks?

I've seen lately where a lot of people are looking for small trailers that can be pulled by a car. I have the following idea and want input.

I came across a company that makes aluminum ATV wagons which are really high end trailers. These trailers only weight 340 pounds and are a low profile box with a scure lid. The box is water tight so the dust will stay out of the gear. There is a heavy duty rack so more gear can be hauled.

Right now these trailers have ATV tires with two axles. I'm looking at converting to a single axle with over the road tires and making completly road legal. Here is a link to the companies website 1600 Aluminum ATV Wagon-ultimate ATV hunting trailer, camping trailer, dog trailer, fishing ATV trailer,Aluminum ATV trailer

I would love any feedback from people on what they think about this idea. The key design would be a secure cargo trailer a small car can pull yet rugged enough to get to any remote river.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1600aluminum.gif
Views:	326
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	3282  

dlskayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011   #2
fort collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I think that selling and/or your company promo stuff goes here.....

Main Index - Mountain Buzz Gear Swap

smoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011   #3
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Seems like a viable idea. With a lengthened tongue and bigger rack bars, you could even put a rigged boat on top for shorter shuttles.

Having the ability to lock most of the stuff inside the box while parked is a good feature. That thing looks pretty small for a full raft set up. I'm thinking 5'x8' is about bare minimum if you want to fit a full oar rig and camping equipment for a multi day trip.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011   #4
irvine, California
Paddling Since: 1987
looks too small--and pricey... for that price along with you're modifications, I would think you could find a 5 by 8 as Dave Frank suggests.
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011   #5
fort collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
too pricey, too small, and waaay too shiny!..
smoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011   #6
NOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Thule has some neat little trailers but I don't know if you can get them in the US. A local Boy Scout troop has a Thule trailer than has a plastic top - like the top 1/2 of a Thule cargo box.

FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote