Old 08-30-2012   #1
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1966
sliding raft on car roof

Any bright ideas for a "blanket" type of thing to put on the hood and windshield of my car for sliding my 10 foot raft w/frame up onto the roof? I'm thinking something relatively sticky on one side and relatively slidey on the other. The urethane bottom of the raft should help with the slidey side. (Seems like professional movers might have a need for such a thing -- maybe I should google moving supplies.)

johnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012   #2
NOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Why are you sliding a 10 footer onto a "car"? Two people should be able to lift it frame on and drop it onto the roof no? When I don't have help I take the frame off, lift the raft on top of the car (or SUV), and then put the frame back on top and strap it all down.

Sliding it up onto the car after a run carriers the risk of scratching the windsheild/hood/roof - even if there is no noticeable mud/sand/dirt on the bottom.

In a more helpful manner - I have used a fleece blanket as a temporary assistance to slide a raft.

FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012   #3
Jackson, Wyoming
Yes, with a friend, we just lift it up there (Forester) frame and all.
My wife is not as tall (and currently injured -- but enjoyig the swivel seat!).
And yes, I have put it up there myself raft first, frame next.
I'm just thinking that if I had the right "blanket/shower curtain/?" I could manage more quickly w/o removing the frame.
I suppose a fleece blanket would work pretty well, but I thought if there happend to be some kind of mover's blanket, it just might be the ticket -- a sticky side might also help in the wind -- I could sew a couple of yoga mats to a fleece! -- something like this must already exist.

Edit: yes, and sliding it up via a "sticky blanket" post-run would help protect the hood and windshield from scratches (scratches, smatches). The roof has racks, so no direct contact for serious scratches there.
Old 08-30-2012   #4
Cpt. No Scout
In a Van, Down By the River
Paddling Since: 91
Some issues you will face. Your boat will want to "kite" when you get up to speed and the front of the boat will want to dance from left to right. This will cause what ever "blanket" you use to side to the rear of your car roof. You will need the duct tape your blanket to the windshield and shut the sides in the car door or somehow attach the banket to the boat. you will also need to strap your boat down to prevent ANY movement from side to side and front to back. Trust me, its not that easy. Just expect to scratch the crap out of the roof of your car and your good to go.
idahofloater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012   #5
Jackson, Wyoming
Sorry if I'm not being clear (or maybe I'm just not getting it). The "blanket" would come off the hood/windshield as soon as the raft is on the roof (on top of the Thule cross bars). The raft (mini-max) has ben very stable on the roof up to speed (I have it strapped at six points: front D-ring to front of car frame, back D-ring to back of car frame, raft frame to each end of each roof rack crossbar). In my case, up-to-speed means no faster than about 60mph -- that's fast enough for getting to and from my local runs.

Anyway, I'm sure a regular old blanket will work, I just thought maybe someone had designed something more specific (sticky one side/slidey other -- and charging $100 for it becasue it is very high tech!).
Old 08-30-2012   #6
frisco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
have an extra large clear bra installed at your local window tinting car accessory emporium, or just accept the fact that paddling fucks up vehicles and it is totally worth it.
full yellow life jacket
bob larrabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012   #7
Plunk your magic twanger!
New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Next you'll want to know how to get rid of the "river funk" smell from your upholstery
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012   #8
Jackson, Wyoming
I'm definitely not being clear(ly understood).
I'm the one who said "scratches, smatches" -- regarding the car.("Scratches, smatches" translates from Brooklyn as "Scratches? Who gives a sh*t about scratches?")
This isn't about protecting the car; it's about the possibility of making it a bit easier/faster to slide the raft w/frame up onto the roof solo (or solo and a half!).
I do appreciate the clear oversized bra idea!
Old 08-30-2012   #9
San Juan Islands, Washington
what about loading it from the side? I have no problem putting my 14' NRS wth the frame on the top of my Subaru when I slide it on from the side.
tomrefried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012   #10
Jackson, Wyoming
Sideways, it might actually be easier to get a wider raft up there because, on its side, the raft is already up as high as the roof rack crossbars and probably leaning on them. My raft is narrower than my roof racks are high, so I would have to get the raft up a bit before lift/push/slide.
Anyway, the "regular old" blanket approach has worked pretty well -- I ain't complaining! -- just wondering.