Old 08-30-2012   #11
Plunk your magic twanger!
New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Going back to your original question, since you seem too smart for juvenile ribbing, Rubbermaid makes a mat for lining drawers that I think could work. It is a rubberized mesh that I have found countless uses for. Makita used to sell an expensive version of it to hold a woodworking project to the counter while you worked on it. It is also sold in Bed, Bath and Beyond as a non-slip mat to put beneath an area rug. Try it, or use it to set your bar glasses on to dry.

Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012   #12
East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
I've ruined the hood of a Maxima by trying to load a Nautiraid tandem folding kayak on the roof by myself in the manner you describe- And hurt my back...shoulder....pride. Eventually I took a different approach that may help in your situation. I mounted a trailer roller (you would need two) to a 2x4 and added some rubber to the bottom. I made the rubber wider than the 2x4 and when i switched to a Subaru with a hatchback, I could open the hatch, slide the "tongue" of rubber in between the hatch and the roof- then close the hatch and the roller was right at the back edge of my roof. Put the boat on a diagonal behind the vehicle- with the bow even with the back wheel on one side- the stern of the boat centered behind the vehicle. Lift the bow overhead while leaving the stern on the ground... walk behind the vehicle and drop the bow onto the roller. From there it's easy to walk the boat forward until it's on the roof rack. Remove the roller and you're done. Much safer way to go- parts aren't gonna cost much more than the right blanket- and you'll save yourself a trip to the chiropractor.

Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012   #13
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
they make these thing called "trailers", ya know?

upshitscreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012   #14
leadville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I load my boat on the rack myself all the time, I don't care about the paint though. I pull my car nose first down the ramp put one end of my raft on the Hood and push it up the windshield on to the rack. Yes my paint gets scratches even if the raft bottom looks clean. Than I make sure to tie the front of my raft to the car not just the rack, my buddy lost his shredder and rack by not securing the boat to the car. I have done 75 on i-70 with no problems.

g.soutiere is offline   Reply With Quote