Mountain Buzz banner

Slick way to mount a clip to a oar

4K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  MT4Runner 
#1 ·

I learned on pins and clips and this is good way to mount them with out lumps and sharp edges.
These are called punchloc bands used to put fittings onto hoses.
Work nicely for oars without ever, ever coming loose.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
knucklenuts,

That looks like a really great way to mount your oars and I encourage everyone to either use something like that or wrap your hose clamps with tape or something else to cover all the sharp points and edges on your oars. Without getting into the oarlocks vs pins and clips stuff, P&Cs tend to have lots of sharp places that can be dangerous. I once dressed a P&Cs-inflicted wound on Brown's that required 42 stitches - yowch!

Be safe out there,

-AH

#4 ·
knucklenuts,

That looks like a really great way to mount your oars and I encourage everyone to either use something like that or wrap your hose clamps with tape or something else to cover all the sharp points and edges on your oars. Without getting into the oarlocks vs pins and clips stuff, P&Cs tend to have lots of sharp places that can be dangerous. I once dressed a P&Cs-inflicted a wound on Brown's that required 42 stitches - yowch!

Be safe out there,

-AH
AH,
Call me nuts, please, hah!!
I made these clips and made sure to radius all edges for that very reason.
That can be done on the factory ones quite easily too.
The other thing I use to do is put a fair sized boat trailer roller at the top of the pin to soften it if you fall on it.
So the only sharp edges left would be the less than ideal hose clamps, which these clamps cure.
Thanks

#3 ·
very nice!! that looks slick.
punchloc you say?? i assume that's not too hard to find.. but is that a rivet holding it together?? perhaps one that "punches" through easily?? (as in a good excuse to whack something with a hammer!)

...i manage a company running pins & clips on ancient bucket boats. i go through a lot of duct tape trying to cover the sharp edges on them hose clamps.
good tip there bro. time to see how well stocked the ace hardware in the middle of nowhere is!!

AndyH.. 42 stitches!!!!! wow, now that's dedication!!! especially when there's a road so close-by;)

#5 ·
Big Ben,
Not a rivet, but a indent thru the collar and two layers of the banding.
You won't find these at your ace hardware.
For joe blow I would recommend going to a shop that makes up hoses and have them do it.
Being as your in the business, you may want to buy the tool that tensions and locks them.
I was lucky and found the tool at a auction.
New the tool is around $140.00
Bands are around $2.00 apiece
You might google it for more detail.

#7 ·
I came to this site to share some of the things that have worked for me thru the years, this method of attaching clips is getting as close to bear proof as I've seen.
So no need for more poop in the repair box.
I like Andy H have no desire to debate pins and clips versus oarlocks nor any other argument.
Yes, we are talking raft equipment here and I cannot see the difference between repurposing these clamps and the standard hose clamps that are usually used that are far from perfect.
Call me nuts

#8 ·
No offense meant there nuts. Sorry if you were offended. I use those clamps and the required tools often enough to know my way around them. I still argue those clamps are difficult to deal with unless you have the tools needed in the repair kit. Just cause you have not had to repair yours in the field does not mean some one else will not. I personally get on water that will spin or break anything out of shape at one point or another and that is the point I was trying to make. Not start some tackle match. Glad it works for you.

#9 ·
Who says you must carry the install tool in your repair kit?

Take off the hose clamps.

Take your oars and P&C's to the local hydraulic shop and have them install the punchlocs.

Throw your old hose clamps and a screwdriver in your repair kit.
(You already had spare hose clamps and a screwdriver and some duct tape, right? Right? :))

Go boating.

Gear breaks. It doesn't break every trip, but you should expect it and be prepared for it to happen. Those punchlocs might run 3-4 years before needing a repair. I don't see the issue, especially if you're carrying a spare hose clamp or four in your repair kit. :)

I am not a P&C fan, but to each their own. I'd love to see my friends running P&C's to have these on their oars so I don't get my hands and legs cut up helping them rig or reflip their boats!!

#10 ·
Yea, the install tool is not needed in your kit if you fix with the hose clamps. But it has been my experience that getting those punch clips off is the most difficult part of the job and just a screw driver aint gonna get it done easily. Also, those dudes clamp down tight enough to crush a hollow oar if they are installed by some bozo. I agree they would work well for all the reasons mentioned above. Im just sayin you better consider how they are installed and how you might have to deal with them in the field. Not trying to win or lose here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.