Mountain Buzz banner

Simple,light weight frame for a 12 footer

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  knucklenuts 
#1 · (Edited)

Here is a frame I made out of 1 1/4"x 1/8" aluminum square tube.
It is about as light as anything I've messed with.
It is on a 12' sotar strike and is a real treat for portaging around log jams with just the wife and I.

See less See more
#5 ·
Yep....I use 8.5 ft. oars on my 12 ft. raft. Perfect. Those dry boxes are works of art. Let us know how they hold up.

#8 ·
How light is the frame with the dryboxes? The frame looks like it would be uber light but not so much on the boxes. The steel tube frame I use for my 10' raft is light except for the highback tractor seat (older) and it seems to weigh almost as much as the frame does. Is that the case with the dryboxes?

What kind of latch system are you using for the boxes?

#9 ·
How light is the frame with the dryboxes? The frame looks like it would be uber light but not so much on the boxes. The steel tube frame I use for my 10' raft is light except for the highback tractor seat (older) and it seems to weigh almost as much as the frame does. Is that the case with the dryboxes?

What kind of latch system are you using for the boxes?[/QUOTE

The frame calcs out at 26# for the tubing w/o welds or coating.
The oar towers and cobra locks go 4# apiece on a digital scale.
I set the whole kit and kabootle on a bathroom scale and it read 64#
I set the 2 dry boxes on the same scale and it read 33# for the 2 of them.
Now, with my very precise, acurate, calibrated sense of weight, I feel that it does not weigh that much.
(That was horsepoop, I can't be trusted to gauge anything)
No latches on the boxes just cam straps.
I don't know if I would trust these getting thrashed, maybe need to call them moist boxes.
Nuts

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.