Old 01-08-2014   #11
C. Springs, Colorado
I haven't laced the floor back in the boat yet, but it sure looks like the same grommet set up as in Elkhavens photo. I'm glad this topic came up as I'll probably follow your lead and put the floor flange on top. I'll more than likely go from the sides around with the four pieces of webbing instead starting at the ends, like it use to be. I know this boat has had the floor out of it before, I assumed it had been laced correctly, but it wasn't done like the Hyside link called for.

caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014   #12
Paddling Since: 1994
Always put the floor on top of the grommet strip on the tubes, even if it was the other way when you unlaced it.

zach baird
zbaird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014   #13
Here's a pic of a maravia floor I did many years ago. It is double laced, the black webbing runs opposite the white webbing. Just another idea to consider .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-780791393.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	328.1 KB
ID:	7527  
mrkyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014   #14
Moab, Utah
Paddling Since: 2008
Just finished

I just finished lacing my floor in yesterday. I went with the nice 5/8" tubular webbing from the climbing shop and a four pack of Johnny's IPA. For my 13'er using two pieces it took 60' of webbing. I used 6 buckets to hold the raft off the floor and started lacing from the middle, skipping a grommet each time. Once I went all the way around the raft I started again from the opposite side stitching the grommets that I had skipped. Oh yeah and I laced my floor above my tubes.
Bigdrops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014   #15
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
I recently did this as well, but I started in the middle of one of the sides by feeding both ends of the tube webbing through until half was coming from the two center grommets, essentially locating the midpoint of the line and beginning from there.

I started by lacing the rear half to the midpoint of the other side, then laced the front half to the other midpoint.

This seemed to make it a lot easier to take up the slack when tightening the webbing after the first 'loose lacing', which I did twice to ensure it was tight.

Rocket boxes were almost the perfect height to support the floor while lacing. And I agree the floor goes above the flange attached to the boat. Lacing is easier upside down, so the floor goes under the boat flange.

Hope that helps.
DoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014   #16
River City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
Here is a picture of the bottom of my old Hyside of the same vintage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	7534  

OregonRafter is offline   Reply With Quote