Old 06-11-2014   #21
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Wag bags are a Godsend for boating with kids. They have used the regular bucket type system but it is much easier to get them to go if they don't have 25 lbs of sludge staring up at them.

Originally Posted by laterwagged View Post
Something that often gets left out of this conversation:

Wag bags do two things that I don't find optimal.

1. They basically encourage the use of the portable waste system to handle urine, which can increase the volume of waste you are packing by a huge factor. Particularly if you have a lot of ladies on your trip as they seem to tend to have a harder time...shall we say....differentiating their waste processes. Leaving your pee in the wilderness isn't optimal, but as a water scientist I know that the "solution to pollution is dilution" is a mantra for good reason. Pee is a very small impact - and in most cases a reasonable trade-off for allowing use in sensitive areas.
Misogynist. Most of the girls I boat with could pee circles around you. Literally. You just need to train them up better, or let them train you up better. And does a wag bag encourage peeing in the bag anymore than any other groover system.

Originally Posted by laterwagged View Post
2. Wag bags are meant to enter the landfill, whereas your current ecosafe system puts the waste "where it belongs" in the wastewater system where it can be treated. yes I know there are other bad things in the landfill...but adding to the problem is not a solution. Again, my background in the water sciences informs this opinion. Poo is a biohazard, and having it enter the groundwater in a landfill when there is another solution that avoids this completely seems....foolish.

Also, you have to put the used bags somewhere, I assume many folks use a gamma seal bucket or similar - but the bucket (or whatever) combined with the cleanwaste toilet system itself will not be much of a space savings on a boat. The cleanwaste toilet is pretty well made, but certainly isn't going to take the abuse that a rocket box will...
Poo is Poo. Labeling it a biohazard is a lot like the barking our Golden does. Sounds bad but doesn't meanů..shit. My wife used to run a program that took a hot mix of partially digested poo to use in a county run nursery for wetlands plants. Not biohazard. Fuel for plants.
The .00001 % of poo in landfills that comes from boaters vs the general under 24 months old shit producing population of ankle biters is so minimal it wouldn't even register as a blip.

In terms of space usage we have a medium sized garbage bag that we put the used bags in the bottom of the regular groover bucket. Just leave it all tied up, open another wag bag and use with the used poo bags underneath. If you start to get heavy with four or five used poo bags just set them out before you set up the groover and reinstall into the bucket/box when wrapping up the system. That saves at least one bucket or box on a small trip.

For our trip last year with four adults and two kids we used a fresh bag every night and rarely had to break open another before leaving camp the next morning.

carvedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014   #22
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
For our 4 day trip with two adults, and two teenage kids, we used one bag per day/night/camp. I used a 6 gal. bucket, with one of those square seats that fit the ecosafe. In the morning, I'd pack up the wag bag as tight as possible and put it in the provided heavy duty wag zip lock. I made a foam "plug" from a blue Wally World camp pad, and cut a finger hole in the middle so it could be easily lifted out.. The used bags were packed into the bottom of the bucket, with the foam plug on top. As the poo packages increased, the foam plug rose higher in the bucket, but there was still plenty of room for the next bag. The foam plug helped decrease the smell from the used bags beneath it a bit.

I'm still not sold on the wag bag system for a week long trip & a medium sized group. Especially if there's a scat machine at the take-out. I think the person in our group who has poo visualization issues would still struggle with the bags? Maybe not? I'll be using the bags on a weekend trip with the "poo adverse" person's wife soon. I'll have to see what she thinks.

"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love....and then we return home."
Australian Aboriginal Proverb
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote