Old 09-17-2013   #11
The Old Troll
Gypsum, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Some of the larger companies offer a package deal that will save you some money over buying everything separately. If you were near Denver I would recommend Down River Equipment or AAA Inflatables but there is probably a similar one stop shop in your area.

David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013   #12
River City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
I am a big fan of 14' boats if you're not planning on owning a quiver of rafts. Both my current and last rafts are 14ers and I think that size allows the best compromise if you plan to both row and paddle it. I do both paddling day trips and camping trips with a frame on that raft. I have r2'd on 14' rafts. I don't know if I'd call it "fun". It's okay and it'll get you down the river. Paddling a raft that size, 3+ people is more enjoyable. But I couldn't imagine going smaller then 14' if you plan on rowing multi days. I have done weeklong trips for 2-3 adults, and plenty of 2 adults and 2 kid family trips, out for 2 to 4 days, on that same raft. I try to keep a pretty efficient and organized raft and have never been uncomfortable as far as people or cargo space on a 14er. There's lots of fun to be had on that size raft.

OregonRafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013   #13
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2009
I have a 143D and if I was buying new I'd be looking hard at the Zephyr. I think a Diablo is too narrow for what you've described. Zephyr was/is on sale at Cascade now. If you need to see a 143D rigged shoot me a PM...its inflated on the trailer with the frame on.
jprides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013   #14
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
I have a Maravia Diablo. Love the length, but it is much narrower than other 14'ers. I have 35-36 inches between my tubes - seems the standard dry box is 38". I like the narrowness for rocky, technical low water.

I don't have a trailer currently, but will be buying one this winter. This boat is a b*tch to roll up. Had an AIRE 130E prior to this one - it rolled down to 1/2 to 2/3 the size of the Maravia.

Jake D is offline   Reply With Quote