Old 02-27-2016   #1
Plunk your magic twanger!
New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Second trailer frame?

I have a 16' cat with a Down River 4 bay frame with an a trailer frame making a fifth bay. I'm gearing for a Grand trip and would like to add another bay. My first thought was to build a new frame with this trip in mind. Now i'm thinking I could make the current frame work with another trailer frame. I'm hoping some engineers will chime in if there is a reason i'm not thinking of to just add another trailer. Thanks!

Gremlin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016   #2
Rivertown, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 9:45
Seems like an extra trailer frame would be a fine way to add space to your cat.

I am not a train driver or an expert. Just thought I would specify that.

I am an American Whitewater member. One of 6300. There are an estimated 100000 paddlers in the U S. If you are not a member you should join. AW is fighting for our rivers everyday and could use some help.
curtis catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016   #3
I have a 6' day frame. For a GC I would add two trailer frames, one front one back for a 16' cat. For a GC I might even add a floor.

The 16' tubes are the structure so I see no problem with no continuous side rails, but I'm not a structural engineer, but I sometimes play one on the job site.
Rich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016   #4
Craigamerica, -
Are both frames going in the back or front? Or one in the front one ine the back? With trailer frames becuase of the extra pipe you are losing space. Another thing to consider is a larger trailer frame with a cross bar in it. Or what Id do is some side rail extensions. DRE will swag a piece of pipe for you then you can extend your frame to what you want. Put some Ts on your cross bar so your drop floor will tie in. If you dont understand what Im describing hit me up and Ill try to find some pictures.
No one cares that you are a river guide
sledhooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016   #5
Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
Since your running a DRE frame, can you add other bays with fitting so that they are actually connected to the frame instead of straped?
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016   #6
Plunk your magic twanger!
New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Thanks Oby1coby and Sledhooligan! I'm glad I asked. Extending the frame is a cleaner and simpler solution, maybe cheaper too since I already have t-fittings and just need straight pipe pieces. I will call DRE this week once I look over their catalog/website and see what else I can add to the order 😀

Sent from this thingy using Mountain Buzz

Gremlin is online now   Reply With Quote