Seat too high - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-29-2016   #1

stevensville, Montana
Paddling Since: 2016
Seat too high

I just got an NRS 13 foot Otter, with an NRS fishing frame. My dry box and cooler ( wanna seats) are 16 inches high and with floor clearance they are about 6-8 inches above frame. Rowing is most uncomfortable. Help.

Capehorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2016   #2

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Get taller oar towers
whiskey_river is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016   #3

seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1983
That could be a sketchy feeling! On a small boat when you're sitting up high, if you take any lateral hits, it's going to feel like you're going to get pitched out of the boat. I'm curious to hear what suggestions the buzzards have for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
mowgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016   #4

lafayette or Grand Lake, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
I agree with whiskey river. Since it is a fishing frame, rowing big water should not be an issue. I would be talking to NRS they sold it, they should have a solution for you.
Old 07-29-2016   #5

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
taller oar towers or a shorter cooler or dry box to row from..
codycleve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016   #6

Meridian, Idaho
I had the same issue in a 13' trib. First I got 10" towers and it still wasnt right. Then I made a seat bracked that goes right on the frame crossbars and used a drop bag under it for day trips and really liked it. I finally had a shallow dry box made to get my seat height down on multi days. Sitting up high I had my oars in my knees, couldnt get my oars up out of the water far enough when I wanted to, and was being thrown around the boat a lot even in smaller rapids. Gettiing my seat height down made a huge difference in all of those problems but did reduce my dry box capacity considerably.
Mopdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016   #7

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
We upgraded to a 14' raft with larger tubes and more floor clearance.
Old 07-29-2016   #8

Meridian, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
We upgraded to a 14' raft with larger tubes and more floor clearance.
Like a Boss. In retrospect I really shoud have gone that route
Mopdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016   #9

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopdog View Post
Like a Boss. In retrospect I really shoud have gone that route
We'll a 13' otter is a good start. Better than no boat! I think we kept ours for only 2 years. We got it used, and it was a good deal and it got us into boating. It was also a bit small for our pack of dogs..... we took 4 dogs on a flat water trip on it, LOL!

Taller towers will help a lot. Dre has ones they will make to any height. Even with our 14' boat, sitting on the cooler puts us a bit high. We have the Dre ones on this boat now
Old 07-30-2016   #10
swimming

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1978
You can send me a message if you like for a phone number, I know a guy in Oregon who can help you with that, he helped me out and others who messaged me here said he is the best frame setup guy in the biz. He fixed up my rowing situation and built me a new footbar. I had my NRS frame way out of wack and didnt even realize it was the reason my elbows were sore, he looked at my frame and asked me "are your elbows giving you trouble at the end of the day". He has lots of different sized dryboxes to get a good rowing position.
MillerJ is offline   Reply With Quote