Sawyer vs. Cataract....Again! Help Please - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-27-2016   #1

185 lb. waste of space, Keeping Glenwood Springs real
Paddling Since: 1864
Sawyer vs. Cataract....Again! Help Please

So I know that there have been many posts on this but I can't find too many that are relatively recent and include the Sawyer situation.

So I would like to get 10' oars and spend under $800 for a set of three, with blades.

Looking hard at the Sawyer MX or the Cataract SGG.

However it looks like there are some cons to both, the biggest being Sawyer possibly going out of business and what sounds like not so hot customer service at this point.

Cataract seems to have issues with delamination and fiberglass splinters.

Even if I decided to go with Sawyer I can't seem to find them anywhere for a decent price. I can get 3 shafts directly from Sawyer, but they want $300 to ship, so that ain't happening.

I can get three sets of SGGs with blades for around $750, but don't want to deal with fiberglass splinters and have read there rope wrap isn't as of quality as Sawyer.

Any ideas where to get Sawyers or put my cataract fears to rest?

Also are counterbalanced oars an issue as long as you have leashes? It seems to be hard to find non balanced oars that are still wrapped from either company.

Thanks

yourrealdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2016   #2

Summit County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 92
Ive had my SGG shaft for 4 years now and they still aren't splintering yet. They get alot of use and are always stored inside. One of the oars took a swim from browns canyon all the way past salad with on minimal damage (could cause splintering later but I resealed the damaged areas after the event)

The only pairs I have personally seen splintering are sets either used commercially or ones that are very old and stored outside. We will see how mine hold up in a few more years.

If your in Glenwood you could drive to Down River Equipment, they sell Sawyer, could save on shipping.

Ive never messed with any of that counter balance stuff, I've been told they don't float as well but thats what I have been told. Could help on those 25+ miles days or wind events?

What oars are you currently using?
Quiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016   #3
Sponsoring Vendors

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Sawyer vs Cataract Oars

We sell both lines here in Salida, and we have our instock oars and blades on sale. Cataract has reduced the issue with sunfading and getting fuzzy. Sawyer Polecats have been our most poular shaft, with great feel and durability, at a reasonable price.

Old 09-27-2016   #4
Top Quality River Gear

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1960
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourrealdad View Post
So I know that there have been many posts on this but I can't find too many that are relatively recent and include the Sawyer situation.

So I would like to get 10' oars and spend under $800 for a set of three, with blades.

Looking hard at the Sawyer MX or the Cataract SGG.

However it looks like there are some cons to both, the biggest being Sawyer possibly going out of business and what sounds like not so hot customer service at this point.

Cataract seems to have issues with delamination and fiberglass splinters.

Even if I decided to go with Sawyer I can't seem to find them anywhere for a decent price. I can get 3 shafts directly from Sawyer, but they want $300 to ship, so that ain't happening.

I can get three sets of SGGs with blades for around $750, but don't want to deal with fiberglass splinters and have read there rope wrap isn't as of quality as Sawyer.

Any ideas where to get Sawyers or put my cataract fears to rest?

Also are counterbalanced oars an issue as long as you have leashes? It seems to be hard to find non balanced oars that are still wrapped from either company.

Thanks
We can get you (3) 10Ft. MXS Wrapped and Stopped oars with DuraMax Blades for $778.44 plus $36 in shipping. If you want to get counterbalanced oars that adds $15 per oar and brings you up to $823.44. You are only charged the over sized shipping fee with us if you spend over $99 on an order.

Cataract has absolutely improved on the color fade and splintering over the years. Many of our crew runs those oars, including myself. After years of abuse when the sun takes it's toll did you know you can send them in and have them shined up again? Just food for thought and probably more important to us color coordinated boat owners.

All the above being said we can get you into 10 Ft. Cataract SGG's Wrapped and Stopped with Counter Balanced Handles and Carlisle 6.5 Blades (which are on sale currently) for $821.70 and that includes shipping. There is also the H20 Handle option with these, you can swap out the handles and go counterbalanced or not depending on the river you are running.

The Sawyer MXS's are currently on sale so think about that when comparing the two. Good luck finding some new oars. Didn't mean to sound like a total commercial but $300 shipping HOLY MOLY!! And Sawyer takes excellent care of our customers and us as a company so I wouldn't worry about issues should you have any, they will take care of you.

Keep it Right Side Up,
Renee
Old 09-27-2016   #5

185 lb. waste of space, Keeping Glenwood Springs real
Paddling Since: 1864
Thanks for all the quick replies. Riverboat I tried to find your stock but didn't see it on the website. Cascade I have been looking at your stock as well. It isn't a deal breaker but love the red sawyers and can't find them, also looking for the green SGG.

It is good to know that the splintering has been addressed because in another thread it sounded like it was still happening.

I guess I will just go back to the drawing board and figure out counterbalanced or not
yourrealdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016   #6

Awesome, Colorado
Quote:
I guess I will just go back to the drawing board and figure out counterbalanced or not
I'll just throw an opinion in here. We upgraded to counterbalanced SGGs last year after folding a non-counterbalanced Carlisle oar in the Royal Gorge. What a difference! On long days, or when you're constantly on the oars, the reduction of fatigue from not having to push down on the handles all the time is noticeable. At first the counterbalanced oars did feel a little more sluggish getting to the catch and sinking the blade, but I was able to adjust to that pretty quickly. Wouldn't go back now.
climbbd510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016   #7
Top Quality River Gear

Boise, Idaho
Quote:
Thanks for all the quick replies. Riverboat I tried to find your stock but didn't see it on the website. Cascade I have been looking at your stock as well. It isn't a deal breaker but love the red sawyers and can't find them, also looking for the green SGG.

It is good to know that the splintering has been addressed because in another thread it sounded like it was still happening.

We can order you in whatever color you would like!! Just take your pick and we will call Sawyer to get an ETA on that particular color. Keep in mind that they are not showing up on-sale on our site, I just saw that Sawyer has them on-sale so we will match that price! You are most welcome, have a great afternoon. And I think it is about time I try some counterbalanced oars too! Thanks climbbd510 for sharing your thoughts and experience about making the switch
Old 09-28-2016   #8

Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
I have 15 year old black cataracts that I left out in the sun with no care for a long time. Say 8 years. They will give me slivers. My second set always go inside between floats and they are now ten years old and I don't think I'll have any issues. I 303 them before all floats and love them up. If your into taking care of your sticks like that, then order up the red Sawyers. If you take care of them, they will last.

With that said, I use carlisles mostly because I leave them out a lot. I kinda get lazy between floats. Good Luck.

PS, If you think Sawyer will go under then buy 4 sticks. Maybe 5???
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016   #9
Top Quality River Gear

Boise, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbagkayaker View Post
I have 15 year old black cataracts that I left out in the sun with no care for a long time. Say 8 years. They will give me slivers. My second set always go inside between floats and they are now ten years old and I don't think I'll have any issues. I 303 them before all floats and love them up. If your into taking care of your sticks like that, then order up the red Sawyers. If you take care of them, they will last.

With that said, I use carlisles mostly because I leave them out a lot. I kinda get lazy between floats. Good Luck.

PS, If you think Sawyer will go under then buy 4 sticks. Maybe 5???
I don't think that we need to be concerned about Sawyer going under, the now employee owned company is kicking tail and taking names. There have been no production problems and our service, as always, has been stellar!! Don't base your choice on that fear, pick the sticks that are going to make you happy on the rivers!!
Old 09-28-2016   #10

Minturn, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Dirtbag- Do you 303 everything? Shaft and wraps? It never occurred to me, just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Sherpa9543 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cataract