Sawyer vs. Cataract....Again! Help Please - Page 4 - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-03-2016   #31

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by TupperwareBill View Post
Get some fiberglass resin and hardener and coat them with that (about 30$ a gal).
no, fiberglass resin isn't uv resistant. and will peal fairly quickly. (you can use it, but you then need to cover it with something like spar). I have done two pairs with resin and it comes out nice but is in no way worth the effort (especially since you then have to spar them anyways.)

I've refinished lots of cat's and sawyers. I just lightly rub with sand paper, wipe with a cloth and coat with a can of spray on spar urethane - usually the minwax brand on my local hardware store shelf for $10. I can usually get 2-3 light coats on a pair with one can. That'll last several years. They're oars, they get beat up - I see no reason to spend hours refinishing them... in reality you don't really need to refinish sawyers as they are fabric backed and have to get REALLY weather before you'll get glass splinters. Cat's splinter very easily. Every pair I've had or used on a regular basis has splintered. it's an easy fix, but it's why I prefer sawyers.

Advertisement

Old 10-03-2016   #32

Belgrade, Montana
On counterbalancing - I love it - it makes a huge difference. I bounce between boats a lot and I hate rowing my buddies non-balanced oars.

I will say, though that it's unlikely you'll need the full 2 nor certainly the 4lb handles sold by either company. The 5lb steel sleeve cataract sells is plainly stupid. Another reason I like sawyers is you can remove one screw and cut through the silicone calk and quickly remove a handle. Then I just buy a few 1lb spools of lead wire (fishing weight hollow core wire, 1/4") and figure out how much you need to get a good feeling counter weight without over doing it. My 10' oars have 1.5lbs and my 9.5'ers have 1 lb, for FWIW. Both still float perfectly flat on the water.
Old 10-03-2016   #33

Belgrade, Montana
DBK, you'll want to make sure you get all your old 303 residue off - wipe it them heavily with acetone??? Just a thought but I bet the 303 will play havoc with adhesion.
Old 10-30-2016   #34

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1982
Cheap counter balance method.

This works surprisingly well. I'm thinking of counter balance oars in my future. My wife isn't sold on 'em. She likes the work out. 30+ years of paddling/oaring tell me to buy them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Counter Balanced oars.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	860.3 KB
ID:	12412  
tmacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016   #35

Park City, Utah
Does Cataract make a 11' H2O shaft?
Old 10-30-2016   #36

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacc View Post
Does Cataract make a 11' H2O shaft?
Yes, they can make any size oar and add the H20 to any of them. The 11' is a stock size but I believe this would basically be a custom order.
Riverwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016   #37

Park City, Utah
Thanks. I'll check into it. We need another pair of 11'ers.
Old 10-31-2016   #38
Top Quality River Gear

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1960
They absolutely make the 11's in H2O, we would need to order them as they normally don't have the 11 Ft. H2O's in stock but would be happy to help! Have a great day! Kindly, Renee

Tags
cataract