Sawyer vs. Cataract....Again! Help Please - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-28-2016   #11

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
A light coating of varnish seems like it would do the trick to solve the "slivers" issue. Heavy duty gloves, some time spent sanding it down and then thin the varnish down and do a light coat or two. I could be wrong...maybe call and ask Cataract what they recommend and if that sounds like an issue.

Down River had their sale the other day, and I'll admit I splurged and bought a set of Sawyer Square Top oars since they had a very decent discount. Honestly, by the time you get a wrapped and stopped oar shaft and a nice set of blades, its not that much more to go with the Square Tops and they sure are nice. Great flex, good strength, counterbalanced yet light weight and they still float. The only downside being you can't take the blade off. I got a pair of 11' with the Avon Pro rig I bought last year and when I bought a 12' raft recently I knew I wanted to get a pair for it too. It came with a set of Carlisles that I'll probably make friends use when they borrow the raft and I'll keep the Sqaure Tops for my use.

On Cascades site the 10' Sqaure Top is listed on sale for $359. The 10' cataract oar with rope rap and stop is $192 for the shaft plus $75 to $189 for a blade depending on what you get....so between $267 and $380 per oar. Once you get into the nicer blades, its kind of a wash.

Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2016   #12

Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
Yes, but I don't have rope wrap. I have plastic sleeves. I buy 303 by the gallon and use it up in about a year. I 303 all my gear at least once a year and for my precious gear more often. Some times its over kill but sun has killed a lot of my gear back in the day. 303 has really help me out. Or maybe today's gear is just better about UV rays.
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016   #13

Bazzaro, World
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric-Mayhem View Post
A light coating of varnish seems like it would do the trick to solve the "slivers" issue. Heavy duty gloves, some time spent sanding it down and then thin the varnish down and do a light coat or two. I could be wrong...maybe call and ask Cataract what they recommend and if that sounds like an issue.
I believe that you are correct in the refinishing really old Cataracts. I looked into it once. A guy could easily drop 200 bones on sand paper, paint, and clean up to do 3 oars the right way. Thats like one new oar so I end up just buying new. I was going to sell them with a used boat once but felt bad and backed out. They are currently my loaners.
Old 09-28-2016   #14

Bazzaro, World
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cascade River Gear View Post
I don't think that we need to be concerned about Sawyer going under, the now employee owned company is kicking tail and taking names. !
Well, I still stand behind the buy 4 or 5. It seems like when ya just get 3 something happens to one of them and the set is broken. I once used a 5 year old oar on one side and 10 year old oar on the other. Don't want to do that again. hehe.
Old 09-28-2016   #15
Top Quality River Gear

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1960
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbagkayaker View Post
Well, I still stand behind the buy 4 or 5. It seems like when ya just get 3 something happens to one of them and the set is broken. I once used a 5 year old oar on one side and 10 year old oar on the other. Don't want to do that again. hehe.
Fine point!!!
Old 09-28-2016   #16
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Kevin, both are bad choices. A set of 2 Gull River Oars is $320. Email this guy and get top shelf wooden laminate oars! KTollefson@usdistributinginc.com
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016   #17

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2008
Is this for real ? A set of oars for under 400???
tanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016   #18

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbagkayaker View Post
I believe that you are correct in the refinishing really old Cataracts. I looked into it once. A guy could easily drop 200 bones on sand paper, paint, and clean up to do 3 oars the right way. Thats like one new oar so I end up just buying new. I was going to sell them with a used boat once but felt bad and backed out. They are currently my loaners.
More like $40-50...but I see your point. I think one or two coats of a good Spar Varnish ($20 a can) plus some sandpaper to flat the rough spots and prepare the glass for the varnish ($5) some mineral spirits and a roll of shop towels to clean up with ($15) plus a cheap $2 paint brush that you just throw away afterward. I bet you could bang it out in a few hours over a couple days since you need to let stuff dry between coats.

I like having two spares too, if not for any other reason then its nice to have a backup for your backup. Having nice oars as backup is bit silly to me though. I'll be using carlisle oars as spares for my 12' and my 16' setup came with two spares that I believe are lower end Sawyer fiberglass ones. At least the blades are...shafts could be Cataract though.
Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016   #19

14 seasons on my first set of cataract sgg oars. no splinters, no delamination, no issues of any kind.
spencerhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016   #20

Bazzaro, World
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric-Mayhem View Post
More like $40-50...but I see your point. I think one or two coats of a good Spar Varnish ($20 a can) plus some sandpaper to flat the rough spots and prepare the glass for the varnish ($5) some mineral spirits and a roll of shop towels to clean up with ($15) plus a cheap $2 paint brush that you just throw away afterward. I bet you could bang it out in a few hours over a couple days since you need to let stuff dry between coats.
Spar Varnish? Hummm. I like your plan. I might do that this winter. I've been told to use urethane with a separate hardener. I was told varnish will yellow and crack in the sun?? But I don't have any experience with varnish and nothing to lose on the old sticks.

Tags
cataract