Old 11-20-2015   #1
NOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 68
Sawyer Plastic Oar Blades

I have a set of Pole Cats that are nearly 20 years old without any shark bites. My question is," why do the new ones break out in 1/20 th the time?
Rephrased, "what were they doing right 20 years ago that they are NOT doing now?

There are compositions of thermoplastics that are nearly indestructible. Any one else have an issue?

garyherballeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015   #2
Coastal, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1987
While I don't have any experience with the pole cat blades on my personal boat.I have been rowing Sawyer oars for over 20 years. I have never been into a toy plastic blade,that is my connection to the water and I don't sacrifice that go cheap. I ran wood blades for a long time and started running Dynelites then square tops before they were even in rafting circles. I can say I have never broken a full size blade or an oar. It probably still comes down to if you have broken blades or oars it's operator error. I do however have no problem setting up some new boaters with Sawyers duramax blade as it's tough as hell and not everyone has the best luck learning to row or even after they have been rowing 5 years sometimes they still need all the help they can get. I have never been so desperate as to have to run a Carlisle shaft or that toy blade they make but see lots of those with the trademark shark bite and the 20 degree swept back blade from bending. I would take the Duramax over any other plastic blade, even the cataract magnums are so hurky and clunky feeling it feels like you are mixing cement instead of rowing. Some of that plastic may have degraded from being in the sun constantly on the oar you speak of but for the most part every Duramax I have seen is a tough SOB if you are plastic blade kind of guy.

GreenWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015   #3
NOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 68
Greenwall: It's not about you. It's about the material change on a product that worked extremely well and subsequently substituted a more brittle less resilient plastic. For what? A few cents. Why would anyone buy their higher end product if they are FTD on the lower end product. This is a shot across the bow for what has been an extraordinary USA made product.
garyherballeaf is offline   Reply With Quote