Sawtooth Welding Raft Trailer Review/Opinion?? - Page 9 - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-23-2014   #81

TV, Idaho
I think it is pretty well established that Orto is full of shit, but I can't help myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orto11 View Post
...the tounge should go at least a third of the way under the box in one piece.
Maybe...on a car hauler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orto11 View Post
Instead of actually calling someone who builds a REAL raft trailer and getting some input from a pro and making an educated buying decision you take internet banter as gospel.

You were touting the excellent craftsmanship pushing his trailer to everyone, Ray Charles could see it was a bad design on the tounge.

Stop listening to people on here all you SHEEPLE, call around and actually ask the builders. Sick of the homemade thrown together crap and stupid questions all the time about how cheap can I make something
This is so stupid on so many levels.
First, these are clearly REAL raft trailers. I can't think of anything not real about them.
Second, the tongue (yep, that's how you spell it) design is not obviously bad. In fact, it is not bad at all. There was a QC problem that by all appearances is being handled very quickly and honestly. Again, there is not a design problem from what I can see.
Third, this is not "homemade thrown together crap." I seriously considered this trailer, but in the end decided to go all aluminum. In that process, I was able to tour Randy's shop, talk all about the trailers and processes with Randy himself. I was also able to talk to a commercial customer of his, who is a friend of mine. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to give Sawtooth my business. In contrast to Orto's ridiculous "homemade" comment, Sawtooth Welding has an impressive shop filled with expensive, high-quality equipment. Their capabilities extend far beyond trailers.

Shit talkers stink.

M3mphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2014   #82

TV, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyosam View Post
That 600-700 pound guess above is very low- I weighed mine for registration, and it was just over 1200 pounds...
That sounds more like it. My all aluminum little deckover is over 500 pounds.
M3mphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014   #83

Eagle River, Alaska
Paddling Since: 1995
Congrats on the trailer!
UPDATE:
Have had mine since March and have since put about 5k on it hauling gear and rafts for trips. I couldn't remember what grease he used so I replace what it came with and used marine grade, just in case I got'em wet. I did beef up the welds where the box attached to frame coupler (paranoid). I also beefed up the removable motorcycle rack and switched it so I could load and unload from passenger side. Glued some foam on the door locks so they didn't knock around as much on the washboards. Couldn't be more happy with the trailer, I still highly recommend!
I want to say mine is around 1200lbs dry, and no probs with rust the powdercoat is sweet.
Small price to pay for such a great trailer, anyone who ownes one knows they are a money pit new or old
otisfireboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2014   #84

Lyons, Colorado
14' vs 12'?

Randy says he can do a 14' for $200 more. I have a 16' raft. Seems like less overhang would be a good thing. Worth it?

Does the standard winch get in the way once the boat is up? Meaning, is it too close to the back such that the boat overhangs off the back more than necessary?

Torsion vs leaf. Seems like everyone likes torsion. Any leaf defenders out there? I kind of like the idea of doing my own maintenance.

2 doors, doing that. Not doing the motorcycle thing.

Any other mods you guys have done that I might want to think about?

Thanks.
Chris
loot87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014   #85

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
I'm carrying a 16' Hyside XT on my 12 footer. I pull the raft forward as far as I can to keep the load balanced. The front extends forward of the winch, which I leave attached but also add two extra front straps on either side of raft to side motorcycle d rings. If you don't get the moto mount you might ask randy for some extra tie down places on the front tongue rails.

If I were to do it again I wouldn't build it so tall. Lots of storage but I have a truck which holds plenty of gear. It's way up there where you're trying to load and get ready for a trip and prob lots more wind resistance on highway.
duct tape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014   #86

Window Shade City, Out of Breath
Paddling Since: 2007
I have a 16' Aire, and the 12' trailer is perfect. The worst part of loading it is dragging the boat accross the deck once it's up off the roller bar. An extra two feet would be annoying in my opinion with no real benefit besides extra storage underneath. Agree with ductape about cutting down on the height for reasons mentioned. That said, my tallish cooler barely fits in as it is, so make sure to measure the items you plan to store underneath if you decide to downsize.
windriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014   #87

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
I agree... I have a 14' trailer from Randy. I wish I had gotten a 12. I also agree that the box is too high. Could make it a bit more shallow but I guess someday I'll be happy it's that high with ample of storage. In the long run, a slimmer one would be better, being lighter.

I also had him put a 2" receiver on the back of my trailer so I can hook on my bike rack just in case or other "toys".
BuckytheGREAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014   #88

Evergreen, Colorado
It is high... need a step ladder to rig it up. The storage is beyond fantastic... so that would be your tradeoff if you drop the height of the box. The storage is certainly enough to put all of your gear during off season.

The moto mount is a nice to have... and keep in mind, its fully removable. I got it for the day I do a solo run... maybe will never use it but it seemed like a reasonable add-on to have "just in case". You could also potentially use it for a regular bicycle if you really wanted to.

I added an additional receiver hitch on the back of the trailer so I can throw a bicycle rack on the back for the family. I'm taking it to Moab next week to run the Daily a couple of times and it would be a sacrilege to be there w/o Mtn Bikes Randy charged an additional $25 for that. I can upload a pic of it with the rack on it if folks want to see it.

I got LED lights as well which is a $35 upgrade. I didn't want the maintenance headache of bulbs burning out.

I do have a big recommendation for you since you appear to live in CO. Getting it registered and licensed is a major PITA. The CSP has to do a VIN Inspection and officially "certify" it. If you know about when Randy will have it ready for you, make an appointment as soon as he knows the date. It took me a month to get an appointment. A day before your appointment, you need to go to the DMV and get a temp license for about $6.22 so CSP doesn't ticket you when you show up. Also, you are best off doing the "Home Built" route for the forms you fill out instead of a bill of sale. The ladies at the DMV said if I pushed it through as a bill of sale, the State would have kicked it back and I would have had to do it over again. Others may have been successful that route, but apparently the home built makes things go a bit smoother (which is what they told me).

Finally, I would ask Randy for a cheaper "side" invoice for the DMV... you will save a bundle on sales tax with that
HysideB0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014   #89

Lyons, Colorado
To go the home build route, don't you need a bill of materials or something like that? Seems like if I went that route, a bill of sale doesn't even make sense.

I have all winter to register it, so I'm not too concerned with the hoops. One of my friends did the Harbor Freight thing and had to take it up to the Fort to get registered.
loot87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014   #90

Evergreen, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by loot87 View Post
To go the home build route, don't you need a bill of materials or something like that? Seems like if I went that route, a bill of sale doesn't even make sense.

I have all winter to register it, so I'm not too concerned with the hoops. One of my friends did the Harbor Freight thing and had to take it up to the Fort to get registered.
I just used Randy's "new invoice". No material list. Just the cost of the trailer. You tell the CSP that you got it from Sawtooth who builds trailers and this is what it cost.
HysideB0y is offline   Reply With Quote