Sawtooth Welding Raft Trailer Review/Opinion?? - Page 5 - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-24-2014   #41

Santa Barbara, California
I'm in CO. Need to update my profile. I would imagine you could carry one on top of the other but I've not confirmed that with Randy.

Sbpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2014   #42

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbpoint View Post
I'm in CO. Need to update my profile. I would imagine you could carry one on top of the other but I've not confirmed that with Randy.
Where in Colo? I'd be interested in sharing costs if possible. I'll be talking to Randy in a day or two. When will your trailer be done, since I need mine by the end of April?

Send me contact info if interested, by PM.

- Jon Snider
duct tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014   #43

TV, Idaho
Those of you with this style of trailer, do you mind giving me your thoughts and advice?

I have a long bed truck with a canopy, plus a rack on top of the truck. SO, most of the time I have no problem with space for hauling gear.

Here's my dilemma, get this trailer from Randy or get an all aluminum deck over style raft trailer for probably $500 less. Basically they have the same axle and springs.

The aluminum trailer will be less maintenance (trailer will be stored outside). No rusting, no wood to maintain. It will be significantly lighter (it weighs 450 lbs). It will be stored in a spot that requires parking by hand, so this is a factor. I will also use this trailer for hauling 2-3 dirt bikes and a future quad.

The Sawtooth is heavier, more maintenance (powder coated steel and wood), BUT it seems very versatile.

SO - what do you think? Is the versatility of the Sawtooth trailer worth the deck height???? It is high, I looked at them. What about moving the Sawtooth around by hand, not bad? What would you do?

Thanks, I'm really stuck on this.

Matt
M3mphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2014   #44

Pluses:

15" wheels - the major reason I wanted a utility type trailer vs a deck-over-wheels raft trailer
Storage - can keep a ton of gear locked inside
Axle - really liked option of 3500# axle
Side door - lockable, very glad I got this
Build quality - excellent
Moto mount on front tongue - for shuttles

Cons:

Loaded raft is high. I need a stool to finishing loading raft.
Diamond plate - good for keeping everything covered up and private inside but metal mesh would be fine.

Changes: next time I would ask a Randy to build the side rails a foot lower. Just enough to fit my cooler inside.
Old 05-10-2014   #45
Jared

Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
I have a little 4x8 Snowbear trailer I use for hauling stuff, and a flatbed trailer that really belongs to my Dad, but he has been letting me use it for over a year now. (It's out of his way and he borrows my utility whenever he wants lol) If you do a lot of day trips you might want a deckover trailer, if you only plan on using it a few times a year for overnight trips then get the Sawtooth trailer. I plan on adding a rack to my 4X8 trailer so I can haul the raft and have some storage.
Old 05-14-2014   #46

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Getting a trailer

I'm now working with Randy for my own trailer pretty much just like Otisfireboy's... sweet one (with a little of my own modifications).

I wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions after using that trailer for a while. I got duct_tape's suggestions that he posted a few days ago. Still looking for a few more pointers before I give Randy the green light, perhaps Otisfireboy and Olso? Anyone else buy from Randy?

Thank you!!!
BuckytheGREAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014   #47

Jackson, Wyoming
Currently waiting for a call from Randy to let me know my trailer is done- hoping to make the trip to Boise next week. Have a bunch planned for the summer (MFS, Deso, Lodore + day trips, not a bad summer for getting skunked in the lotteries!) can't wait to stop rolling the raft!

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
wyosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014   #48

Evergreen, Colorado
Got one too

Just ordered one as well and Randy has been awesome to work with. Got one with the adjustable winch, torsion axle, 2 side doors, moto mount on the front. I also had him set a license plate holder and move the lights up higher so I can get it a bit closer to the water.

He told me he will deliver from ID to CO for $500 (he actually drives it himself), but needs a minimum of 2 trailers to deliver to make it worth his while. Since I drive a Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7, that's about my gas bill to make that run myself. So I hope there is another person who can jump on this. He is hopefully done with mine in 2-3 weeks.
HysideB0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014   #49

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
I'm working on an order with Randy myself as well. I don't mind splitting the $500 cost. Or is it going to be $500 each? If that's the case, I'll probably go up to Idaho myself.
BuckytheGREAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014   #50

Just so everyone knows, Randy does not provide a title or MSO, since Idaho is one of the states which does not title a trailer. He gave me a bill of sale which I took to my Colorado DMV. I told them it was a "handmade or home built trailer". They sent me with a temporary tag to the CO State Hgwy Patrol office where I had to have a VIN inspection (took 5 minutes but here in C Springs they only do it once a week on Weds and you need an appointment, so plan ahead), then it was back to the DMV office where I got a small metal VIN number plate to put on my trailer, and eventually, after several meetings b/w various supervisors in the office, my tags and registration. Expect to pay all local, county, and sales taxes so you might think ahead (I didn't) and have a discussion with Randy about price on bill of sale.

Note that the DMV temporary tag is only good for a short while, can't remember but maybe 10 days?, so don't get it until you have the VIN inspection scheduled.

PS. Ditto Randy is great to work with. Good trailer too.