Sawtooth Welding Raft Trailer Review/Opinion?? - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-03-2014   #21

Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I think it would be easier to have another roller added lower. After the first trip of the year I'll figure out how low it needs to go. I think adding a hitch would be a pain to manage.

My pricing was what's listed on the site:
Basic trailer $1850.00, subtract $100 for 5x10 box instead of 5x12 = $1,750
Spare tire add $100.00
Side access door, in front of fender $150.00

Total = $2,000

Oslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2014   #22

Don’t know if this will help you but on mine there is a t-bar looking thing that fits into a peg hole near the back that supports the lid. So when you open the top you can just pull the t-bar out of the peg hole so it’s not in the way. On the rapid rig the top does not touch the tailgate at all though. Given the lockable design of the Sawtooth that seems like a design flaw. You are going to want to open the tailgate to load items when the boat is on the deck, especially when you are at home before a trip. Or just to pull items out at the end, cooler and whatever else you don’t want to leave in there.

Mine hangs too on the roller but my winch pulls from a higher angle so I wonder of that helps. Mostly it’s just the front metal handle on the raft that gets caught. If I’m doing it myself I just winch it until it hits, then walk back there and give it a whack from underneath to push it over, then continue cranking. Not that big a deal, just an annoyance.

The Nat’l Park guys have the same type of rig, theirs are all beefy with rollers all across the top and battery powered winches, etc. but they are also really tall. What I saw one of them do was sew kind of a super sling out of NRS straps to pull the boat up with. It cradled the back of the boat going around the whole tube, then the two ends were pulled under each side to meet in the front and attach to the winch. That way the straps pulling the boat up were coming from under the boat, therefore pulling the whole top tube over the rear roller. I don’t know if that makes sense without seeing it but it was cool, I never got motivated enough to make one but it might help your situation.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014   #23

Fruita, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oslo View Post
I think it would be easier to have another roller added lower. After the first trip of the year I'll figure out how low it needs to go. I think adding a hitch would be a pain to manage.

My pricing was what's listed on the site:
Basic trailer $1850.00, subtract $100 for 5x10 box instead of 5x12 = $1,750
Spare tire add $100.00
Side access door, in front of fender $150.00

Total = $2,000
Thanks!

Quote:
The Nat’l Park guys have the same type of rig, theirs are all beefy with rollers all across the top and battery powered winches, etc. but they are also really tall. What I saw one of them do was sew kind of a super sling out of NRS straps to pull the boat up with. It cradled the back of the boat going around the whole tube, then the two ends were pulled under each side to meet in the front and attach to the winch. That way the straps pulling the boat up were coming from under the boat, therefore pulling the whole top tube over the rear roller. I don’t know if that makes sense without seeing it but it was cool, I never got motivated enough to make one but it might help your situation.
That totally makes sense, thinking you might be able to run from rear d-rings and cross them underneath essentially kinda doing the same thing.

Haven't called yet but will update this thread when I get it spec'd and picked up!
otisfireboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014   #24

Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I'll try to post pictures again...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer Build.jpg
Views:	778
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	7640   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer.jpg
Views:	786
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	7642  

Oslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014   #25

Fruita, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oslo View Post
I'll try to post pictures again...
Oh God I just...... That's a sweeeet looking trailer!!!

I'm sold, but have a couple ideals I want to run by'em.
Old 02-07-2014   #26

Fruita, Colorado
Here is my rough sketch on what I was thinking for modifing the winch /mount.
Attachment 7659

Talking with Randy at Sawtooth Welding now, hopefully see an estimate by next week.
Here is what I requested:
-7x10 dual use/rapid rig trailer
-Two side access doors
-Spare tire
-Adjustable/removable winch mount attached vertically by receiver. Mount would adjust up and down; top of mount would then angle toward front of vehicle at a 15-25 degree angle for 18-24 (guessing on all this), winch would be located at end of angled bar
-Motorcycle carrier for 13 KLR650
-Powdercoated

He mentioned that they are still trying to come up with something to address the issue of not being able to open the rear gate while boats are loaded. I am going to mention the "T" that could hold the rack while gate is down.
Old 02-07-2014   #27

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2007
Trailer Envy

I've had my eye on this trailer for a few weeks. Thanks for all the pics and updates people have been posting. There have been some great ideas to enhance the trailer - please keep sharing!

Thanks!
windriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014   #28
Paddling in to the Future

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Randy is great, I've had him weld up lots of stuff for me. His trailers are awesome. (I don't have one, but I've watched him roll several out the door of his shop) I didn't even know he did trailers until I took my cat frame to him the first time for some modifications. and saw the pile of trailers out back. He's a busy guy for sure.
PhilipJFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014   #29

spokane, Washington
Paddling Since: 2007
trailer envy for sure! it did make me wonder about how I load my boat.do you guys use the D rings to winch off of? I pull the boat as far up the trailer as possible than have my wife help wrestle it the rest of the way on the trailer. some days this just isn't the best ending to a good float
birdman413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014   #30
swimming

Tacoma,Wa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1994
Kind of a weird trailer for a raft. It just looks like a utility trailer. I always wondered why some people put rollers on their trailers. I know most people out west just back in the water float the boat and go, launched in 1 minute and out of the way. Doesn't look like you could back that in the water and has no axle clearance. Thats kind of why they designed raft trailers back in the day. I know putting in at lochsa people strew their crap all over the parking lot and sit in the way all day and you can't even get to the water.
orto11 is offline   Reply With Quote