Sawtooth Welding Raft Trailer Review/Opinion?? - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-28-2014   #11
Jared

Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
I'm a torsion axle fan. They can have more belly clearance and they are very smooth riding and eliminate a lot of noises on bumpy roads. They are sensitive in tandem axle setups to level, they do not equalize between each other like leaf spring tandem setups do. That is a pretty good looking trailer for less that 2 grand. I look at some of those trailers and wonder how much it would cost me to duplicate in my garage, and it doesn't seem like I'd save much money. I think a 5x12 box would be plenty for me, 12 feet seems kind of long.

Learch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2014   #12

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Even for a 16' Hyside?
duct tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014   #13

Frisco, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oslo View Post
I did..and so far I really like it.
Very cool!!! What additions/modifications did you end up with? Were they pretty easy to work with?
Hatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014   #14

Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
- 5'x10' instead of 5'x12' box - I have garage storage limitations. I also didn't think I needed a 12' box. In the picture below, I push the boat up another foot.
- 4' tongue instead of 5' - Once again, storage length considerations.
- I had them weld metal mesh in the tongue triangle so I could put "stuff" up there
- 2' access door in front of the tire well. The door is in the picture...you can't really see it, but it is large, lockable, and very easy to access coolers/dryboxes/anything out of the trailer.

Randy was very easy to work with. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Oslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014   #15

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
I just talked to Randy and if you want a torsion axle instead of a leaf spring it is only a $175 option.

I added the motorcycle ramp option on the tongue, for shuttles, and some recessed d-rings down the middle for dirt bike tie downs.

Jon
duct tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014   #16
Jared

Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
Quote:
Originally Posted by duct tape View Post
Even for a 16' Hyside?
My 14 fits on an 8 foot deck fine, 3 feet of overhang seems okay to me. Even if you got rear ended the raft would probably high enough to be missed. You Can offset the raft towards the front too.
Old 01-29-2014   #17

awesome deal, glad it worked out. I can't see your picture but that looked like a heck of a trailer for the money. It is just so nice and makes it so easy having a good quality trailer.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014   #18

Fruita, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Did you guys travel up to get the trailer or have it shipped??
Are the prices still correct on their website, how long was their turn-around?

It's time to pull the trigger
My Specs so far:
-5x10 (14' Aire)
-motorcycle carrier
-mount lights up high
-gate lock half open
-side access door (pass side)
-Adjustable (up/down)/removable winch

anything else you guys would do different

Can't wait for a new trailer!!!
otisfireboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014   #19

Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I drove up in a day, spent the night, picked up the trailer in the morning and drove home. It didn't work out to get on the water while I was up there.

I didn't have the lights mounted higher, the lights he uses are water proof (even though after seeing them I don't think they'd take being under water very long) but there isn't much space to mount them higher due to the back gate lock.

Having the gate "lock" half way down didn't happen either. I'm still trying to figure out a fix for this issue. The back gate supports the top deck, so if the gate is half open and the raft rolls onto the deck, the back would flex and you'd have to muscle it up to close the gate.

I've only used the trailer a couple times at the end of last season and the height of the trailer deck is an issue. While winching the raft out of the water, it hits the roller really low and gets stuck. It's easy enough to have someone in the back pull the raft up 4 inches and then continue winching, but I'd like to be able to get it on the trailer solo. I'm thinking of having a second, lower bar made to kick the raft up to hit the roller at a better angle. I hope that all makes sense....

I'd probably have two doors installed, one on each side. I can't say enough on how nice having that access is. You don't have to drop the gate to get at anything.

One thing I didn't think of, but there isn't a license plate mount. Not a big deal, but I had to rig something for my plate.

I'm looking forward to using it this season....come on snow pack....
Oslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014   #20

Fruita, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Right on, thanks for the intell!!

What do you think of a reciever hitch mounted under the back of the gate? Would it effect the clearence too much? Thinking you could make something that could slide into the reciever serving as a lower roller to assist getting it to the upper one?? Does that make sense? I am wanting to self load as well.... If you don't mind me asking what was your finial price?

Snow pack great here in the Yampa basin, not worried at all!!
otisfireboy is offline   Reply With Quote