Sawtooth Welding Raft Trailer Review/Opinion?? - Page 14 - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-21-2016   #131

Salt Lake City, Utah
I just picked up a Sawtooth trailer and I am extremely pleased with how it turned out. Thanks to those who posted in this thread that helped me make the decision. I just took it and a brand new raft out on a maiden voyage from Salt Lake to Fruita to float Ruby Horsethief. Having all of the storage underneath was awesome and made it possible to take less vehicles down.

I customized my order a bit by adding two doors on the side, LED lights, radial tires, an adjustable winch and I also had him mount my spare to the winch post rather than underneath. Awesome trailer, awesome price and awesome people to work with. Highly recommended.

Pics:

With an Aire 156R on top.

Great gear access even with the raft on top.

bcpnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2017   #132

Bozeman, Montana
I heard the business was sold to an employee. Has anyone bought a sawtooth trailer recently?
walterwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017   #133
North Fork

Sandpoint, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1988
Sawtooth Trailers is now owned by a man named Kenyon Klinginsmith. He bought the trailer partition of the business that Randy owned. To see his site, go to Sawtooth Trailers - Homepage - Nampa, Idaho Phone: 208-982-6789

Kenyon called me back the day I had called him, and I ended up ordering my trailer from him. Options on my trailer:

*5x12' box (should be perfect for my Aire 156D)
*24" sides (my cooler is 20" high. Thought about lower sides after reading the posts, but since I had access doors built in front of the wheel wells, the clearance is reduced to stuff coolers/dry boxes in through the access doors. So I went with the 24" tall side lengths)
*lockable access doors in front of each wheel well.
*adjustable winch (in a 2" receiver, and it can elevate or even be removed. (I intend to use the sling under the boat attached to the frame to winch it on)
*front spare tire mounted near winch
*expanded metal tray that uses all the triangle of the tongue area. (for a possibles box, including star wrench, etc. for flats)
*tires that Kenyon now uses are load range D tires that should be a good new standard on his builds.
*torsion bar 3,500 lb. axle (we have lots of Mag sulphate up here in North Idaho, and I just got done replacing the rear leaf springs on my Tundra, which were eaten up by the salt). Torsion bar has less moving parts.
*Powder coat included
*rear roller bar included.
*LED lights included
*license plate mounting bracket welded on included.

I'll post pics as soon as I pick it up in May. From my conversations with Kenyon I got a really good feel that he will do an awesome build. Plus his communication with me was top notch and straight forward. He answered all my questions honestly and with great detail. The price for the build is really reasonable for a trailer I expect to own for the rest of my rafting years.
Patrick Lynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2017   #134

Salt Lake City, Utah
Good to know they're still being made. I love mine even more after almost a year of having it. We just moved and having a raft trailer than can do double duty trucking furniture around was awesome.
bcpnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017   #135

Salem, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
Excellent trailers. I got mine from Randy last year, but didn't get the deluxe version with storage box. I just got the flatbed. Very affordable and great quality. If the quality is still as good I would highly recommend Sawtooth to anyone!
Old 04-17-2017   #136

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2008
FYI, Kenyon is a lazy hack who builds absolute half-assed garbage.

I wouldn't send my worst enemy to him. I'll be posting more soon...
gringoanthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017   #137
North Fork

Sandpoint, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1988
I think when you trash someone's name and don't give any details or share your first-hand experience, with that person and their products, then your claims are baseless. Trash talk is easy to post. Details about interactions and products are much different.
Patrick Lynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017   #138

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Lynch View Post
I think when you trash someone's name and don't give any details or share your first-hand experience, with that person and their products, then your claims are baseless. Trash talk is easy to post. Details about interactions and products are much different.
You can choose to believe what I say or not, it's a free country, dude.

Not having the time right now to write a lengthy report does not make my claim baseless. Based on our first-hand experience of getting screwed by Sawtooth/Kenyon, the sh!t work he does, and the fact that this is the U-S of A, I am free to give any kind of heads up I want, to other boaters, on where, in my opinion, is or isn't a good place to spend their hard earned dollars.

Like I said- I'll post details later, when I have time.

Caveat emptor.
gringoanthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017   #139

Meridian, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1998
brasscap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017   #140
Paddling in to the Future

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
I would have no problems. Kenyon has been building them for Randy for years, most people don't have any problems. Randy is a friend of mine, and I'm sure I won't have any problems with a trailer I get from Kenyon (as I plan to get one this spring)