Sawtooth Welding Raft Trailer Review/Opinion?? - Page 13 - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-12-2016   #121

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2008
Loading the boat solo

Just a quick follow-up to the loading discussion. I used my attached bow line to form a big loop back to a frame cross bar behind the oar towers, then forward, ending under the boat, a couple of feet short of the starting point at the bow where I tied a knot. I had to stop pulling to move the hook over the roller but no big deal. Had the boat on in minutes. It's a simple, easy solution.

cmharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2016   #122

Evergreen, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmharris View Post
Just a quick follow-up to the loading discussion. I used my attached bow line to form a big loop back to a frame cross bar behind the oar towers, then forward, ending under the boat, a couple of feet short of the starting point at the bow where I tied a knot. I had to stop pulling to move the hook over the roller but no big deal. Had the boat on in minutes. It's a simple, easy solution.
Glad it worked. Cool technique, no?

Other Sawtooth update...

I had my trailer for 2 years now, but I didn't have a lot of road miles on it. I finally did the hubs - Yeah I know... every 12 months - as they started to look kind of rank and the small grease leaking from them was collecting dirt. One of the hub cap dust covers managed to push out about halfway after a Lake Powell trip...not sure how that happened. Luckily Randy put on EZ Lube hubs and after opening them, I noticed the grease was kind of paltry... maybe the small leaks had it get out. I added in 2 tubes of Napa Marine Grease and cleaned them up. Look as good as new. Hopefully they will hold up.

Anyone else have any issues with the hubs on these or the EZ Lube setup?
HysideB0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016   #123

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by HysideB0y View Post
I actually found a Youtube video of a guy doing almost exactly what I stated... hopefully this helps:

Pretty sure that's DrAndyDVM's video.
seantana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016   #124

Evergreen, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by seantana View Post
Pretty sure that's DrAndyDVM's video.
Yeah... looks like it is
HysideB0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016   #125

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by HysideB0y View Post
Glad it worked. Cool technique, no?
Yes, no doubt, and much easier than the more complicated solutions I was considering. Always keep it simple.

Concerning the bearings, I have had to add some grease but haven't lost any to leaks.
cmharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016   #126

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Does anyone know exactly what this trailer weighs? I think someone said 1200#? I have a friend who may be able to pick it up for me and deliver it to Colorado, but they'd be towing it (empty) with a Subaru Outback (newer one). Is it too heavy for a Subaru to tow?
Old 06-12-2016   #127

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
The towing capacity should be in the owner's manual. Or you could look it up online. Let us know what you find out!
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016   #128

Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindInTheWillows View Post
Does anyone know exactly what this trailer weighs? I think someone said 1200#? I have a friend who may be able to pick it up for me and deliver it to Colorado, but they'd be towing it (empty) with a Subaru Outback (newer one). Is it too heavy for a Subaru to tow?
That would be fine I had an old outback 2000 model and it was rated for 1500. They won't forget it's back there though.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016   #129

Frisco, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindInTheWillows View Post
I was told when I picked mine up that it weighed about 700lbs, 750lbs with the dirt bike mount. I tow ours with a 2012 Outback (4 banger)... and totally know it's back there but just take it slow and pay attention.
Hatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016   #130

Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
I think they are over 1000 pounds. The Mirage trailer Is 855 pounds according to the Vin sticker and has a lighter floor.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote