Sawtooth Welding Raft Trailer Review/Opinion?? - Page 12 - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-20-2016   #111

Evergreen, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindInTheWillows View Post
id anyone ever work out a rear receiver hitch "supplementary" roller system?
I have a rear hitch put on the back for bikes. TBH it kinda sucks because its just welded to the flimsy part of the base. So it is more or less useless and it looks like it would shear off if any significant weight was put on it (read - a 16ft raft on a roller). If you get a rear receiver hitch put on, be sure its long and is welded to several of the rib frames on the bottom of the trailer which will make it sturdy. At some point I will get this done so I can put my bikes on the back.

I highly recommend the trailer... its been great and goes on long trips. I have had it for 2 years now and love it. All my raft buddies comment on where the heck I got it. You won't regret it.

HysideB0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2016   #112

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2008
16' boat

My 16' boat with lots of rocker and a short straight section fits on my 12' trailer but just barely because of the winch location. I think you can make a 10' work if you move the winch forward, toward the front of the trailer. Carefully check the relationship between the winch/box/boat before you place the order. It would be nice to get it right the first time. Overall, it suits my needs perfectly. The only downside for me is I can't load the boat by myself. With the storage underneath, I can't lift the bow high enough to get it started on the roller. Still working on this. I will find a solution.
cmharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016   #113

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
CMHarris: I can see how the winch would interfere if it's not height adjustable/removable. Here's my thinking: Winch the boat up onto the deck as far forward as possible until the bow is right at the winch. Remove the winch, shove the boat forward another 3 feet, then tie it down. I'll have 3ft overhang on the rear and 3ft overhang on the tongue. I think it could work.
Old 05-20-2016   #114

Evergreen, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmharris View Post
The only downside for me is I can't load the boat by myself. With the storage underneath, I can't lift the bow high enough to get it started on the roller. Still working on this. I will find a solution.
If I didn't misread the issue and I understand your issue, actually you can... Its technique.

I had the same problem (weight of raft) and a couple of the guys at Down River Eqt showed me an awesome technique to do it. You get a large section of webbing and tie each side to the rear of the frame. Then pull the loop *under* the boat and have it come up through the front handle and back to your winch. As you winch, the webbing underneath pulls the nose up right to the roller and up over it. Going through the handle prevents it from flipping backwards. This technique is good because all of the stress is on your frame and not on the handle or D-ring.

Works like a charm and I am able to load a fully loaded raft (a few hundred lbs I would guess) with gear/beer/etc onto the the Sawtooth trailer all by myself.

If I had a picture, I would show it... hopefully my description is enough to get you to visualize it.

If I didn't understand what you were saying, then just disregard.
Old 05-20-2016   #115

Evergreen, Colorado
I actually found a Youtube video of a guy doing almost exactly what I stated... hopefully this helps:

Old 05-20-2016   #116

Finally!! thanks for finding that....seems like we've been trying to explain that to people for months in various threads. I go to the back of my frame too instead of the oar mounts but I'm sure it doesn't make a difference.

Could be where they started the film, but it also helps to have a hook with the spring keeper on it or I don't have a hook, I just use a biner, otherwise the hook might fall off the webbing before you get enough tension on it. they were doing it two man so she had help, but if you are doing it solo and have some cross-current and trying to go back and forth it helps so the hook doesn't fall off.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016   #117

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Sawtooth Trailer

I bought mine from Randy last year and I've been extremely happy with it. I had them perform some customizations:
- Customized tongue - 3.5' long (fits in my garage; no issues with length)
- Access door on each side
- Leaf springs
- Spare tire mount

I paid extra for the spare tire mount, but was not happy with it - the spare tire hangs down low since it's mounted under the trailer, so I was worried about clearance on some of the washed out dirt roads that we are sometimes on. Also, I don't know anyone who carries a wrench big enough to be able to remove the large nut that holds the tire onto the huge bolt that the tire is suspended from. I would not order the spare tire mount if I were to do it again - it was a complete waste of money for me.

My main boat is a 16' NRS Kodiac cataraft with 27" tubes. The roller bar on the tailgate probably works well for a raft, but is not long enough to cradle the tubes of my cat. I ended up removing the bar and building my own roller system using a 2x6 and a couple of rubber boat rollers that you might find on a motor boat trailer. Works great now!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150904_084711.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	348.9 KB
ID:	11552   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150905_073609.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	289.3 KB
ID:	11553  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150905_073616.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	279.0 KB
ID:	11554   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150905_184412.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	349.7 KB
ID:	11555  

hilltop_yodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016   #118

Bend, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindInTheWillows View Post
CMHarris: I can see how the winch would interfere if it's not height adjustable/removable. Here's my thinking: Winch the boat up onto the deck as far forward as possible until the bow is right at the winch. Remove the winch, shove the boat forward another 3 feet, then tie it down. I'll have 3ft overhang on the rear and 3ft overhang on the tongue. I think it could work.
Good solution. That will work great and it's an easy modification. I'm sure Randy can come up with something simple so you won't have to make the change after you receive the trailer.
Old 05-20-2016   #119

Bend, Oregon
Loading the boat.

Yup. That's my problem exactly and thanks for providing a solution and also the follow-up video. My only concern and I'm not sure it's valid, the Sawtooth winch pulls almost parallel to the deck. The video shows a winch mounted on a pretty tall mast, maybe 3 feet above the deck, so the winch is lifting the boat's bow. My parallel pull smashes the boat into the back of the trailer and creates friction at the roller, effectively crashing the whole party. But if I pull from underneath the boat, as suggested, it may lift the front before it binds from friction. It's worth a try. Thanks again.
Old 05-20-2016   #120

Bend, Oregon
Spare Tire

Also, I agree, mounting the spare tire under the gear deck is a bad idea. I had the right wrench and it still took a long time to get the spare down. Mine now rides on the front of the gear box.