Old 04-15-2015   #101
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Originally Posted by Osseous View Post
Better corrosion resistance, better road compliance- BUT they have to be properly weighted for your load. If the load rating is not close, it won't really do much, just bounce.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Good to know, thank you!

hilltop_yodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015   #102
East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
In our climate (zero salt water!) I believe leaf springs are perfectly suitable for raft hauling duties. I've owned both styles (torsion on a trailer that hauled my flats boat when I lived in florida). Most of the torsion rigs I see hauling rafts are way under their proper load rating and the torsion device barely moves.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015   #103
Both are fine, Iím in CO as well and have never had an issue with my torsion axle for a lot of years and I bought my trailer used. One thing with the torsion axle is there is nothing to break, so you are never going to snap a leaf while loaded up going down a crappy road. Iíve never heard of the rubber rotting, itís all sealed up. If mine is completely empty it bounces around a bit, but even with just the raft it smoothes out. Generally I have gear underneath (rapid rig style) or fully loaded up for a multiday and then it rides smooth as a babies bottom down the worst roads. So I think it also depends on what you are doing, a lot of pavement or stuff like Sand Wash all the time.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015   #104
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1980
I had a leaf break on me once and I couldn't pull the trailer because it wobbled so bad. I think if I would have ratcheted the trailer down against the axle it would of helped but I instead limped to the nearest town and replaced the leaf. I'm not saying leaf springs are no good that trailer was used hard and is still going strong. I defiantly do t have a problem with torsion axles either. I just pulled one 150 miles with no load and I couldn't tell it was behind me. It was interstate but I don't think it's something to worry about.

Sembob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015   #105
Billings, Montana
Paddling Since: 1977
Originally Posted by M3mphis View Post
That sounds more like it. My all aluminum little deckover is over 500 pounds.
What axle and wheels does your aluminum deckover have, any drawbacks to it? I'm debating aluminum vs steel in a deckover, and most aluminum I've seen have 13' wheels and a 2200 lb axle.
Montana Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015   #106
Billings, Montana
Originally Posted by otisfireboy View Post
Congrats on the trailer!
Have had mine since March and have since put about 5k on it hauling gear and rafts for trips. I couldn't remember what grease he used so I replace what it came with and used marine grade, just in case I got'em wet. I did beef up the welds where the box attached to frame coupler (paranoid). I also beefed up the removable motorcycle rack and switched it so I could load and unload from passenger side. Glued some foam on the door locks so they didn't knock around as much on the washboards. Couldn't be more happy with the trailer, I still highly recommend!
I want to say mine is around 1200lbs dry, and no probs with rust the powdercoat is sweet.
Small price to pay for such a great trailer, anyone who ownes one knows they are a money pit new or old
How is the motorcycle carrier attached? I have one made for a receiver hitch, could that be mounted instead of getting another from Sawtooth?
Old 04-28-2015   #107
Fruita, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Probably could, the rack and frame have tabs welded to each, they are then bolted together to make it removable. I beefed mine up since I hual a 450lbs KLR650. It was a cheap upgrade that made me feel better about hauling all that weight.
otisfireboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015   #108
Billings, Montana
Thanks for your reply, mine is quite heavy, so may still get one if I decide on that trailer. I still have an ongoing debate with myself whether to get steel or aluminum. Either way it will be deck over for my old body.
Old 06-12-2015   #109
Lyons, Colorado
Just throwing in my testimonial. Randy's trailer is awesome. Great guy to work with. I just drove up to ID and picked it up one weekend (though I doubt I saved any money with gas and hotel).
loot87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016   #110
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I'm seriously considering getting a Sawtooth trailer. Thanks for all of the great info here. I have some garage space issues, so I'm trying to keep the trailer as short as possible, but still accommodate my boats. My largest is an Aire 160DD and I'm wondering how well it would work on a 10' box? On my boat, the flat section is just about 10' long anyways, so the rest of the bow & stern are unsupported regardless of the box length. I'm OK with some overhang, but a little worried about the front overhang because I'd like to be able to swing open the ambulance doors on my SUV. Does anyone have photos of a 16ft raft on a 10' Sawtooth? Any recommendations? Did anyone ever work out a rear receiver hitch "supplementary" roller system?

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolute nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." -The Water Rat
WindInTheWillows is offline   Reply With Quote