Sawtooth Welding Raft Trailer Review/Opinion?? - Page 10 - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-07-2014   #91

Lyons, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckytheGREAT View Post
I agree... I have a 14' trailer from Randy. I wish I had gotten a 12. I also agree that the box is too high. Could make it a bit more shallow but I guess someday I'll be happy it's that high with ample of storage. In the long run, a slimmer one would be better, being lighter.

I also had him put a 2" receiver on the back of my trailer so I can hook on my bike rack just in case or other "toys".
Bucky, what's wrong the 14'? Weight?

loot87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2014   #92

Eagle River, Alaska
Paddling Since: 1995
My winch in removable, I would highly recommend this. When I get the boat up, I remove the winch and pull the next couple of feet by hand.
I have the 10' version with leaf springs and went that way so I could work on it.
Works great for a 14' Aire with overhang on both ends.
Only thing I would change is the height of the trailer, could probably take it down 2-4" and still have great storage.
I would recommend the home built trailer rout at DMV. If Randy were to list the materials and not just the trailer it would be alot easier to use it as the "home built" (it asked for materials used). I just listed what I thought was used ie 3500lbs axle, angle iron, etc. Never ended up using the original invoice from Randy for anything (but my records).
otisfireboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014   #93

Evergreen, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by otisfireboy View Post
My winch in removable, I would highly recommend this. When I get the boat up, I remove the winch and pull the next couple of feet by hand.
+1 to that! I have this too and love it.
HysideB0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2014   #94

Evergreen, Colorado
otisfireboy, how did you attach your VIN plate to the trailer? I have mine in hand and was going to look for some form of super adhesive. I was going to try and maybe get some metal stamps and just pound it into the trailer...
HysideB0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014   #95

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Quote:
Originally Posted by HysideB0y View Post
otisfireboy, how did you attach your VIN plate to the trailer? I have mine in hand and was going to look for some form of super adhesive. I was going to try and maybe get some metal stamps and just pound it into the trailer...
I used metal tapping screws and some contact cement.
duct tape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014   #96

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
You may have a 16' boat, but how long is the flat section? Everything else is gonna be in the air- not a lot of upside to a longer trailer in that case.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014   #97

Eagle River, Alaska
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Self tapping screws that I stripped out once they were in, put mine above the side door on the frame for the box.
E
otisfireboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015   #98

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Torsion Axle vs. Leaf Springs

Some folks have mentioned that the torsion axle is better than the standard axle with leaf springs. I've owned a few trailers and they all had leaf springs, so I guess I did not know that there was an alternative.

I am wondering what are the pros and cons of a torsion axle vs. a standard axle with leaf springs? Is one better than the other?

Thank you!
hilltop_yodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015   #99

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Better corrosion resistance, better road compliance- BUT they have to be properly weighted for your load. If the load rating is not close, it won't really do much, just bounce.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015   #100

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Torsion Axle vs. Leaf Springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltop_yodeler View Post
Some folks have mentioned that the torsion axle is better than the standard axle with leaf springs. I've owned a few trailers and they all had leaf springs, so I guess I did not know that there was an alternative.

I am wondering what are the pros and cons of a torsion axle vs. a standard axle with leaf springs? Is one better than the other?

Thank you!
From what I have been reading, it sounds like the torsion axle works well with trailers that are heavily weighted, and that they are too rigid when the trailer is empty or has a light load. Here are some people's opinions:
torsion axles vs. leaf springs

Also, something that worries me about torsion axles is that apparently there are "four rubberized cords" inside of the axle that control suspension capabilities within the axle. I live in CO where the climate is dry and am wondering how long rubber cords will last before dry-rotting and breaking. The Torsion vs. Spring Axle Debate Demystified | Complete Trailers Blog

I would love to hear the opinions of those who own the Sawtooth trailer and have used their trailer for a wide variety of things. In addition to hauling my raft gear, I plan to also haul yard waste, compost, wood chips, and other things in the trailer when needed, and I'm assuming that the trailer will be driven empty from time to time when in route to a pickup.

Based on what I have read so far, I am leaning towards leaf springs, but I'd love to know what your experiences are. Thank you in advance for your advise, opinions and knowledge.
hilltop_yodeler is offline   Reply With Quote