Old 08-05-2009   #41
Rainy Northwest, Washington
Paddling Since: 1980
Originally Posted by muttster View Post
Just to be clear... WHO are you accusing of begin FAKE? I know you said the same thing about me in a different thread, so I am just curious.
I think she's accusing "outback." of the two market speak posts, and the links to the "boats to go" web site.

I'm going to start importing rafts, I'll call the brand "venus" and every raft will come with a 24-year old hottie (your choice of gender) and a Grand Canyon permit.

swiftwater15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009   #42
Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
I'm going to start importing rafts, I'll call the brand "venus" and every raft will come with a 24-year old hottie (your choice of gender) and a Grand Canyon permit.[/quote]

I'll take one... but only if the hottie does the cooking on the Grand also...

muttster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009   #43
Riverton, Utah
Paddling Since: 1999
Just bought a Saturn 14'6" 4 weeks ago and have loved it so far. I rode a 14'6" NRS in June for a week in Alaska on Lake Creek and actually like the floor and the gap between the self bailing floor better on my Saturn. I can fish of the front of my Saturn better than I could off the NRS. I couldn't lock my feet in on the floor on the NRS, the gap was too wide.

I bought the Saturn specifically on price. I am usually doing the floating picnic thing with my family down the Green or Weber, but last weekend I gave it a serious ASS kicking in the Weber when it was running a little low. We got tacoed on a rock so bad that I had to take my Carlisle Guide paddle and use it to pry us off the rock. I was thinking that the rock would have done some serious damage to the bottom of the boat...nothing. I honestly couldn't believe it. It was a big old conglomerate granite chunk and I could see where it scratched it, but didn't hurt the seam at all.

The floor on my Saturn (when rolling it up) was stiffer than the NRS, but doesn't really make a big difference to me.

I have ran Star rafts the last 8 years and honestly didn't care for them. I rented them every year from Flaming Gorge lodge and they just didn't have the features that the Saturn had. My Saturn has removable thwarts, foot straps, bigger tubes, and a self bailing floor. The Star for MORE money had fixed thwarts, no straps and didn't ride as high.

The only precaution that I do take with my boat is that when I first put it in the water, I try and point the seams so that they are going with the direction of the rocks just so they don't hook up more than they could. I doubt this helps at all, but how often do you turn a boat 180 degrees and start paddling that way down the river, may as just point it that way to start with. I would do the same thing with any other boat I ran though too. Just seems like common sense.

bh5k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009   #44
Cleveland, Ohio
Paddling Since: 2003
I have 2 Saturn rafts, the small 12ft. oversize ducky type RD-365 and a 12ft. Canyon, but I have not taken out the 12ft. Canyon yet, but I did blow it up to check it out and size it up for an oar rig. I have used the oversize ducky RD-365 several times this summer and love it. As for the 12ft. Canyon which I got for super cheap, let me tell you the construction reminds me of an Avon and its tubes are at least 18" in size, this raft puts the 12ft. NRS Otter to shame and it was 1/3 the price! Don't know how long the glue will hold up but if it does I'm going to be one happy rafter! Like I said it's constucted similar to and Avon, very neat and clean, only time will tell how long she lasts? Glue and the durability of the inflatable floor are really the only things that concerns me about this raft. Yes! I said inflatable floor for the price of a cheap bucket boat! I took a chance because you can't beat the price! Well that's my take on Saturn rafts. I'm taking her on the Upper Gauley the first chance I get, that otta test the glue seams out!
carmine34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009   #45
Riverton, Utah
Paddling Since: 1999
Saturn pic

Originally Posted by stribtw View Post
i go the same vibe in that other thread, it sounded like she was saying that me and you has the same tone or something in our posts.

we need to start a saturn picture thread, it needs to be a pic of you and your saturn. still not foolproof to prove im a real and unique person, but maybe the skeptics could cut me some slack if i can point them to a pic of me in my boat.
Tell me where to put the pic at. I have a pic of mine with the family sitting in the boat just after going under the Croyton bridge on the Weber last weekend. It was a GREAT shot, they didn't know the bridge was coming and we only had 8 inches of clearance between the boat and the bridge. I will attach the pic I have here of me setting it up in the front yard for the first time. The other pic is at home.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0135.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	1843  
bh5k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009   #46
Frisco, Colorado
I thought I would weigh in on this subject. We own a Saturn raft. We did a lot of research when we set out to buy one several years ago. We live up in the mountains and frankly were tired of always calling friends to see if they were going on the river - we wanted independence!! We were saving money up to buy a Sotar. I accidentally came across the Saturn website one day and within a month we were proud owners of a Saturn raft. We purchased a 14 ft with removable thwarts.

Here are some reasons why we went this route...

*The prices for a several year old USED Sotar, Hyside, any other pro brand were more expensive than a Saturn.

*The made in China thing versus USA. I always try to buy locally, eat organic, responsible spending, etc, etc. However sometimes choices need to be made. We decided that we wanted to get on the river now, instead of five years down the road when we would have saved enough money for the other brands. The research we had seen did not show a significant difference to warrant a $6000+ difference.

*As beginner rafters, there were going to be many run ins with logs, rocks, etc - it is just part of the learning experience. I would equal it to buying a sixteen year old a Suburban rather than an Escalade.

*As my userid implies we seem to be magnetically attracted to rocks. I am embarrassed to say, but we have seriously run that boat into every rock in the Arkansas, every ledge on the Colorado, and because it is usually just the two of us, have dragged it in areas we should not have. That Saturn has held up beautifully! In fact we often comment how impressed we are with the fact it does not even have a scratch.

We do not have a garage, so we actually have it in our storage unit and blow it up every use. The boat has held up perfectly after repeatedly inflating and deflating. Last year we went to the car wash at the end of the season, sprayed it down, lubed it up, and then stored it at the storage until for the winter. Below freezing temps. Opened it up this season, and it still looked new! No problems.

My husband and I have gotten out on the river for several seasons now, and I tell you, we have had some wonderful adventures and great bonding time. I truly thank Saturn for offering a quality product the average Joe can afford!

If in a couple years I need to throw away our Saturn - when other brands would still be good to go - I will be completely fine. The price difference makes up for it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Raft.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	452.0 KB
ID:	1844  
RockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009   #47
Cody, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 82
I have a saturn 14' RD-1400 and I love it. Just bought this spring. I say if you make a choice from forum posts you should only listen to people that have owned them, also make a choice from your own research not hear-say. When I was shopping for my next raft I looked at every thing on the market and the price was not the top concern for me, the VALUE was. I have no problem paying top dollar for the best thing on the market but I also have no problem being penny-wise and buying a very durable raft for 1/3 the price of a raft that will not give me any better service. When my wife ask me how much I paid, she could not believe that I did not buy the most expensive one....I simply told her i could not justify paying any more. I as an owner reccommend the saturn raft to anyone.
outdrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009   #48
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
So are people in Idaho alowed to post in here?
Captain Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009   #49
Cleveland, Ohio
Paddling Since: 2003
Oh I forgot to mention who I bought my Saturn rafts from, Cody at Saturn rafts direct he hooked me up with an awesome deal! Tell em Carmen from Cleveland recomended you. Also, the kick on the Canyon rafts look great but I have not ran it yet to see how she'll perform, I will post later when I do.

carmine34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009   #50
Montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
The wife and I retired to Colorado in 1997 and purchased an Aire Super Puma. It was a great raft. After three years of rafting we moved and sold the Aire.
Back to Colorado a few years ago and in need of a raft. After the "sticker shock" of a new Aire we decided to buy a Saturn from Cody at Saturn River Rafts. I have to say there is a big difference between the two. $$$$$$$$. And that's the only difference we've found so far.

jjmretired is offline   Reply With Quote