Old 07-09-2012   #41
I'm right 50% of the time
Paddling Since: 1977
I don't care if you own a Saturn. These are just my observations...

I have seen this same thing happen. The middle attachment point on the "I-Beam" floor failed in a hole. This created 2 major problems. 1: The floor was now spongy and did not hold air. 2: the floor could lift up and created a cavity underneath. In this situation, I ended up in the boat and rode it sans paddle though the next rapid. The boat kept trying to suck me under the floor. This was/is a HUGE entrapment issue.

Saturn has modified the design year in and year out. They are making strides in the right direction, Rocky Mountain came out and nailed a good design.

Bottom line, get on the river, but know what your gear (and you) can and should do.

brendodendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012   #42
Pinecliffe, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
I'm not saying anything bad about Saturn owners personally. I'm just saying Saturn are junk boats. Don't cry about it.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. KARL MARX
treemanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012   #43
portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Originally Posted by funrivers

It typewritered in the pour-over in Velvet. The water flushed the floor and ripped it out front and back. Note the three attachment patches on the perforated bucket floor--that's all that holds it in. Actually, just a couple of stitches from the patch on the BB floor to patch on the paco pad. When the stiching failed, it ripped the paco pad open.

I originally posted this to inform, not to insult. I'm sure some will always get by with a POS, but at least should know what they are getting into before committing themselves, and the rest of their group, to a higher risk of equipment failure. To me, taking POS equipment on a Tat trip is the epitome of stupidity and irresponsibility--but, hey, that's what brown bears are for!
Looks like me on a saturday morning. Oh, i see what the bucket is for. (cue barf noise)

I'm assuming you had to patch the floor to get it to hold air again. What kind of pvc cement was in the patch kit that came with the boat? How much patch material. Did the patch hold?

How did you re-secure the floor to the boat to complete the trip? I would think the requires complete deflation of both the floor and the raft and a lot of work. Or just pack the boat with drybags and hope you dont see anything worse than velvet
Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it "guaranteed", I will. I got spare time.
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012   #44
leadville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I do agree that that Saturn floor design has always had an entrapment issue (even fully inflated ) that you and your crew need to be aware of.
g.soutiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012   #45
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: '92
Is this ?
"We're gonna need a bigger boat"
CBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012   #46
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Originally Posted by carvedog View Post
Is it imperative that you have zero sense of humor to buy a Saturn???? Is there a little check box that you have to agree to or something?

I agree alot of what I read when the saturn therads appears, sounds like people are but hurt on both sides. I know I am special thats why I drive my saturn short bus. It has got me on the river, was in my price range, and has allowed me to spend the money on the gear i need. I have got my moneys worth out of it so far and has years left in it. Like I said before I consider it an entry level whitewater raft to get you on the river and has with stood 4.5 seasons of abuse. I don't care who rags on me, I don't get butt hurt, I make a point to be honest Like the good folks at I made it a point to make fun of myself. boat name the short bus, name on my crews pfd's gerry's kidz. I even strap it inflated to the roof of my camry. so flame on if you must but I still have as much fun on the river or more as the rich.

thanks gerry soutiere

Hey Gerry,

We should go boatin sometime. I got this POS Sea Eagle Ducky that I have had a blast learning about running rivers in and doing emergency emergency repairs on the riverbank. It has a pooltoy quality floor held in by 3 cam straps. I cover it with a closed cell camping pad to keep it from puncturing. I got it as a newb because it had a payment plan and fit my budget. I call it the Titanic. It has run many class III and class IV runs on the Payette river in Idaho. It got me on the river and that has made all the difference. There is a pic of me running it down Lone Pine on the SF Boise canyon in my album. Go team windowlicker!
treehugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012   #47
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Um I mean SF Payette canyon.
treehugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012   #48
Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
I wonder what Powell and the other early explorers would think of a Saturn. Probably, would have to change there pants from excitement. The first guy to go down the tat in the 70's took a bucket boat and fiberglass kayaks, guess he was an idiot too. But, he took a chance and made it down fine. He is a great guy and a pioneer. So to I feel that us saturn owners are pioneers of the whitewater community. I am a proud saturn owner and all boats are money pits. My money pit just cost a little less then yours. This thread has inspired me to tube the San Juan this afternoon.
wamskayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012   #49
Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Treehugger you ever meet Crazy Carl on the Lochsa? You guys would be great together in your Duckies. Had one of my best trips ever with that guy, as all the other boaters at the put in warned me not to go down with him. I for one would be proud to paddle with either one of you.

P.S. a few months ago we did a trip down the rio chama. My buddy popped his raft in flat water on some nails you could not see because it was muddy. Nobody on the trip bitched we simply pulled over and camped at the spot where it happened. We got drunk and in the morning the raft was fixed and we went on our way. I did not start a thread that STARS are a POS. Boats fail and shit sometimes hits the fan in the wild no matter what gear you are using. The people that freak out and blame others/equipment are the exact kind of person you do not want to be out in the woods/river to begin with.
wamskayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012   #50
Searching for water....., Nevada
Crazy Carl is a great guy to boat with, and he dosent care if you are in a Saturn....

Pinned is offline   Reply With Quote