Salmon River Frame - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-03-2014   #1

Boise, Idaho
Salmon River Frame

Hello all. I have my first boat, and Aire 143R, on the way and I am super excited. I need to get a frame for it and I am considering the Salmon River frame (with dry boxes) from Cascade.
https://www.cascadeoutfitters.com/in...ID=79&framein=

I have a couple of friends that have this frame, one for a 14' Hyside and the other an 18' Riken. They both seem to like it but before I go spending all that money I thought I would ask for some feedback here.

I did do a forum search (most people here seem to like to tinker) but would still appreciate any thoughts or insights. Thanks.

BlueTurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2014   #2

Bellingham, Washington
Paddling Since: 2002
Two thumbs up

Love this frame. It is not everyones cup of tea; those that like to tinker, piecing together a setup with boxes here and there, and those that intend to use it on multiple boats would prefer another. If you have your boat set and are looking for a solid, tested, and well designed frame, pull the trigger. I got mine as a packaged deal and whomever put it together (believe it was a Cascade floor model two owners previously) did a sweet job. If you drink that kool-aid go all in. Cascade boxes have great tabs to rest on with cam strap secure. Captain boxes are sweet! I have two standard boxes so I can't comment on the kitchen box but if I could change anything it would be the openings. They are 1/2" too small for standard milk crates. If you talk with the fabricator see if they can cut them 1/4" wider on each side and it would make a milk crate organization system work. Oar rights are solid and would not change the height at all, captain's positioning is great, but I have never been that picky. Good luck and enjoy!
tripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014   #3
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Hey Tripp. Didn't realize you have one of Cy's frames too. Mine is as well.
But not the basket type. I kind of wish it was as they don't move around nearly as much as mine when you run it 1.65 feet MF low. Mine wanders all over as most frames that sit just on top of the tubes would. He made this one about 25 years ago so it was just the galvy, not the sweet finish you have on yours.

I will try to attach a nice pic of tripple's frame in action in Dagger.

carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014   #4
swimming

Tacoma,Wa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1994
Hey Blueturf
I am not a tinkerer so I ordered my frame ready to row, If they are built correctly you shouldn't have to move anything. I have a Aire 130D and I had Canyon Whitewater Inflatables build me a custom Raptor frame for it, they sell AIRE and made me a package deal price. The dryboxes latch in and need no straps. straps and tabs are outdated in my opinion, I can get in the boxes on the river and 2 latches and they are out of the boat and up at camp. The lids are the boxed construction and are much more sturdy than the shoebox style and the frame is all aluminum with adjustable replaceable oar towers which was a huge deal in my purchase. I wanted the boat to fit other people and be able to take them off to stack boats or replace them.

There is no one that builds a nicer cleaner frame package in the business.
I don't have any photos right now I am not home, I did see a Raptor frame posted on Maravias facebook page also there has been a raptor frame on craigslist in Portland,Or to get a look of it.

You will most likely have to call or email them the web page doesn't have much new on there.

For the money I wouldn't buy a galvanized frame.

I grabbed this photo off the internet Here is a photo of the boat I have except mine is Orange with the same color frame, I have 2 dryboxes and 2 captains boxes on mine.
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo1 - Copy.jpg
Views:	541
Size:	208.7 KB
ID:	7762
orto11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014   #5
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by orto11 View Post
Hey Blueturf
I am not a tinkerer so I ordered my frame ready to row, If they are built correctly you shouldn't have to move anything. I have a Aire 130D and I had Canyon Whitewater Inflatables build me a custom Raptor frame for it, they sell AIRE and made me a package deal price.

For the money I wouldn't buy a galvanized frame.

I grabbed this photo off the internet Here is a photo of the boat I have except mine is Orange with the same color frame, I have 2 dryboxes and 2 captains boxes on mine.
Not sure what their standard frames are. tripple's is powder coated and looks great. That is an extra option they offer.

Does your breakdown? It looks all welded together. Nice to have the breakdown option for some of our Idaho rivers.

No frame page at all at Canyon Inflatables. Couple of pix in the photo album and not even a base price idea to start with....make me think they don't want to sell frames.

YMMV
Old 03-03-2014   #6
swimming

Tacoma,Wa, Idaho
My wait is 8 months on my cat frame, I asked the same thing about the web. They have been working 7 days a week for the last year and a half, I don't think selling frames is an issue. My buddy currently has a frame on order from them but won't get it until may.

Mine is all welded and I wouldn't have it any other way. Just my preference. I could have had it made breakdown with their machined connections that are supposed to have no play but I don't take my boat apart.

I usually just pick up the phone and get a price if I am interested in something

Cascade would sell a ton of their frames if they had them on the floor
Old 03-03-2014   #7

spokane, Washington
Paddling Since: 1984
I really like my Salmon River frame. Its surprisingly light wt, My 6 yr old and I lifted it onto the raft the other day. I run a drybox in rear and a drop bag in front with a table over it. I added a alum floor in captain's bay with a over-sized ammo can on either side. I added both a small and large zippered side bags. Also added two of the umbrella mounts on either side of the cooler mounted on the lower rail. Its a great setup. Only mod I would like is to make the front bay a couple inches bigger for more room, which I will do when I get another table.

lll100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014   #8
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by orto11 View Post
My wait is 8 months on my cat frame, I asked the same thing about the web. They have been working 7 days a week for the last year and a half, I don't think selling frames is an issue. My buddy currently has a frame on order from them but won't get it until may.

Mine is all welded and I wouldn't have it any other way. Just my preference. I could have had it made breakdown with their machined connections that are supposed to have no play but I don't take my boat apart.

I usually just pick up the phone and get a price if I am interested in something

Cascade would sell a ton of their frames if they had them on the floor
So I get that you are really happy with your frame. I think our friend who posted up specifically about Salmon River frames and what we thought of them would like to go boating this year, not next. So, while they may be the best frame to ever be made in the world, it doesn't seem to have a lot of relevance to this conversation. Unless waiting 8 months to a year works for the OP.
Old 03-03-2014   #9
swimming

Tacoma,Wa, Idaho
Most people like to have options in this world I know I do. You need to go take some happy pictures and chill Jerry. And by the way I added a bunch of custom titanium to my boat so it is taking longer.
Old 03-03-2014   #10

Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2005
my new boat came with a Salmon river Frame, which worked well for me, as Cy made my dry boxes as well. I love the way a salmon river frame "nests" down into the raft, and breaks down small. It is surprisingly light for a galvanized frame (my old one was a custom galvanized frame made by a local engineer and was far heavier). You can call Cy and get one custom made to whatever boat you have, and whatever options you want...and you won't have to wait 8 months to get it.
Grifgav is offline   Reply With Quote