Salmon River Frame - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz
 



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-03-2014   #11
Dipshit with the most.
 
carvedog's Avatar
 
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by orto11 View Post
Most people like to have options in this world I know I do. You need to go take some happy pictures and chill Jerry. And by the way I added a bunch of custom titanium to my boat so it is taking longer.

I am chill. For the most part.

He was asking about Cy's frames and you can't tell me that you can get a CWI frame for less than ..... I am guessing about $1,200 or more at the bottom end. just from all the extra tubing and bending that must be done. Add breakdown and I bet that would be another $150 to $200.

Without titanium how much is your frame going to be?

He's worried about spending too much for Cy's frame and this one would have to be radically more. I am guessing. Because there isn't a base price to be had. They were really nice on the phone when we did the tanks and I have no doubt it's an awesome frame. Truly.

But he's just getting started and may not know what he wants in terms of options. And Cy makes not just good, but great frames as far as I am concerned. Good geometry too. And they hold their value as all well made frames will. CWI included.

That's all.

carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-03-2014   #12
 
lhowemt's Avatar
 
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,395
Two things that steer me away from features people mention. Tabs- - I think they work great but can be a shin banger around camp, or if you use the box in other ways than that one frame. Shoebox lid dry boxes -they leak IME much easier than the boxed lid design. Tons and tons of people love their gear with those things, so don't sweat the minutia.
__________________
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014   #13
 
BlueTurf's Avatar
 
Boise, Idaho
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 111
Thanks for the input everyone. Cost and time are both factors with me. I'm not made of money (who is?) and I hope to be on the river by late May at the latest.

Sounds like some definite thumbs up votes and some cautionary advice.

One more question, does the powder coating prevent damage or is it for cosmetic reasons?

Thanks.
BlueTurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014   #14
 
oarframe's Avatar
 
Gardnerville, Nevada
Paddling Since: 00
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 453
I love my salmon river frame.... that said I wish I had a few of them to fit the various configs I would like to try.

Things I really like: Lighter and probably cheaper than the "erector-set" nrs/dre/aaa/etc. Being able to use the drop rails to put a floor on, not having to worry where the drybox or cooler go, not having to tighten up fittings.

Things I don't like: not being able to adjust the cooler or drybox width, not being able to adjust the oarstands, not being able to clamp on accessories that are standard for other frames....

However, if it's built the way you want it you won't ever have to worry about tinkering with the frame setup - but there's always tinkering with something else.

A couple things I might have done different in retrospect: made the front bay wider to take rocket boxes, made the cooler well bigger to take a bigger cooler (it fits a 95qt Yeti in it now), increased the height of the oarstands a bit, maybe had some plate welded on the corners.... see you get to tinker in advance....
__________________
more snow = more water
oarframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014   #15
swimming
 
Tacoma,Wa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1994
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by carvedog View Post
I am chill. For the most part.

He was asking about Cy's frames and you can't tell me that you can get a CWI frame for less than ..... I am guessing about $1,200 or more at the bottom end. just from all the extra tubing and bending that must be done. Add breakdown and I bet that would be another $150 to $200.

Without titanium how much is your frame going to be?

He's worried about spending too much for Cy's frame and this one would have to be radically more. I am guessing. Because there isn't a base price to be had. They were really nice on the phone when we did the tanks and I have no doubt it's an awesome frame. Truly.

But he's just getting started and may not know what he wants in terms of options. And Cy makes not just good, but great frames as far as I am concerned. Good geometry too. And they hold their value as all well made frames will. CWI included.

That's all.
Ya I didn't see the price issue, I looked at cascade and the salmon frame is only around 650.00, that is a bargain. I was thinking they were around 1200.00 base. Cascade has mark up on it-so poor old Cy is killing himself for no money he needs to raise prices. He must only be clearing 200.00 after it is said and done.He must love his job!
orto11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014   #16
Dipshit with the most.
 
carvedog's Avatar
 
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by orto11 View Post
Ya I didn't see the price issue, I looked at cascade and the salmon frame is only around 650.00, that is a bargain. I was thinking they were around 1200.00 base. Cascade has mark up on it-so poor old Cy is killing himself for no money he needs to raise prices. He must only be clearing 200.00 after it is said and done.He must love his job!
What is a ball park price on CWI? They are gorgeous and maybe when I hit the lottery I will call them up. but not going to waste their time asking for a ball park when they have frames, like yours, to build.

Ferrari taste on a Camaro budget you know.
And I love the new Camaro but it ain't a Ferrari.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014   #17
Dipshit with the most.
 
carvedog's Avatar
 
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTurf View Post
Thanks for the input everyone. Cost and time are both factors with me. I'm not made of money (who is?) and I hope to be on the river by late May at the latest.

Sounds like some definite thumbs up votes and some cautionary advice.

One more question, does the powder coating prevent damage or is it for cosmetic reasons?

Thanks.
Pretty sure it's cosmetic. It is 1 3/8 galvanized stock ( forget the width ) so it shouldn't be for rust reasons. And it is prettier. Whether it's $200 prettier is up to you.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014   #18
 
Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1982
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 545
We have an '04 Sotar cat frame which I believe is built by Cambridge. The frame is fine, but I have to agree, the shoebox type dryboxes aren't always dry. Granted, the front box of a cat will get more water from holes and waves hitting it than raft, but our next frame will have different style of boxes on it. When we substitute our frontierplay kitchen box in front, it's never gotten water in it.
tmacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016   #19
 
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 85
Hey III300, would you mind posting a few pictures of how you strap those ammo cans down in the captain's box positions?

Also, some of your umbrella mounts? Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Mountain Buzz mobile app
SouthernSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016   #20
 
lll100's Avatar
 
spokane, Washington
Paddling Since: 1984
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 77
here are a few photos for you SouthernSun.


I had the floor fabricated by a friend, based on a PRO design. Attached the Aluminum Angles for strapping down.



Bought the umbrella mounts from Cascade and attached with hose clamps. I like to put a 1/2" tubular webbing on the hose clamp for tube protection. They work great but I got a Bimini and they dont get much use anymore.

Mounts are copied from ELKHAVEN, Found a chunk of ABS plastic and bored a hole the frame tube size and cut it in half. Mounted the bimini on the block with a 1' strap underneath it. It folds forward for up and down use or I can move it behind the oar locks and fold it to back.
lll100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Topic Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Found: Rowing frame along Main Salmon whee Lost & Found 6 08-13-2013 10:37 AM
Handrail frame vs welded frame? any thoughts? 1offshore28 Whitewater Rafting 21 10-04-2012 06:46 PM
Oar lock tower options for a Salmon River Expedition frame Wiggins Kayaking | Gear Talk 4 07-07-2012 08:44 PM
Marsh creek Middlefork of the salmon and Main Salmon reuben Kayaking | Trip Planner 3 04-20-2012 03:50 PM
Lost: star raft w/ rear frame & center frame - Bonner, MT sms24 Lost & Found 10 07-22-2010 07:39 AM

» Classified Ads
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.