Salmon River Frame - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-03-2014   #11
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by orto11 View Post
Most people like to have options in this world I know I do. You need to go take some happy pictures and chill Jerry. And by the way I added a bunch of custom titanium to my boat so it is taking longer.

I am chill. For the most part.

He was asking about Cy's frames and you can't tell me that you can get a CWI frame for less than ..... I am guessing about $1,200 or more at the bottom end. just from all the extra tubing and bending that must be done. Add breakdown and I bet that would be another $150 to $200.

Without titanium how much is your frame going to be?

He's worried about spending too much for Cy's frame and this one would have to be radically more. I am guessing. Because there isn't a base price to be had. They were really nice on the phone when we did the tanks and I have no doubt it's an awesome frame. Truly.

But he's just getting started and may not know what he wants in terms of options. And Cy makes not just good, but great frames as far as I am concerned. Good geometry too. And they hold their value as all well made frames will. CWI included.

That's all.

carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2014   #12

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Two things that steer me away from features people mention. Tabs- - I think they work great but can be a shin banger around camp, or if you use the box in other ways than that one frame. Shoebox lid dry boxes -they leak IME much easier than the boxed lid design. Tons and tons of people love their gear with those things, so don't sweat the minutia.
Old 03-03-2014   #13

Boise, Idaho
Thanks for the input everyone. Cost and time are both factors with me. I'm not made of money (who is?) and I hope to be on the river by late May at the latest.

Sounds like some definite thumbs up votes and some cautionary advice.

One more question, does the powder coating prevent damage or is it for cosmetic reasons?

Thanks.
BlueTurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014   #14

Gardnerville, Nevada
Paddling Since: 00
I love my salmon river frame.... that said I wish I had a few of them to fit the various configs I would like to try.

Things I really like: Lighter and probably cheaper than the "erector-set" nrs/dre/aaa/etc. Being able to use the drop rails to put a floor on, not having to worry where the drybox or cooler go, not having to tighten up fittings.

Things I don't like: not being able to adjust the cooler or drybox width, not being able to adjust the oarstands, not being able to clamp on accessories that are standard for other frames....

However, if it's built the way you want it you won't ever have to worry about tinkering with the frame setup - but there's always tinkering with something else.

A couple things I might have done different in retrospect: made the front bay wider to take rocket boxes, made the cooler well bigger to take a bigger cooler (it fits a 95qt Yeti in it now), increased the height of the oarstands a bit, maybe had some plate welded on the corners.... see you get to tinker in advance....
Old 03-03-2014   #15
swimming

Tacoma,Wa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by carvedog View Post
I am chill. For the most part.

He was asking about Cy's frames and you can't tell me that you can get a CWI frame for less than ..... I am guessing about $1,200 or more at the bottom end. just from all the extra tubing and bending that must be done. Add breakdown and I bet that would be another $150 to $200.

Without titanium how much is your frame going to be?

He's worried about spending too much for Cy's frame and this one would have to be radically more. I am guessing. Because there isn't a base price to be had. They were really nice on the phone when we did the tanks and I have no doubt it's an awesome frame. Truly.

But he's just getting started and may not know what he wants in terms of options. And Cy makes not just good, but great frames as far as I am concerned. Good geometry too. And they hold their value as all well made frames will. CWI included.

That's all.
Ya I didn't see the price issue, I looked at cascade and the salmon frame is only around 650.00, that is a bargain. I was thinking they were around 1200.00 base. Cascade has mark up on it-so poor old Cy is killing himself for no money he needs to raise prices. He must only be clearing 200.00 after it is said and done.He must love his job!
orto11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014   #16
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by orto11 View Post
Ya I didn't see the price issue, I looked at cascade and the salmon frame is only around 650.00, that is a bargain. I was thinking they were around 1200.00 base. Cascade has mark up on it-so poor old Cy is killing himself for no money he needs to raise prices. He must only be clearing 200.00 after it is said and done.He must love his job!
What is a ball park price on CWI? They are gorgeous and maybe when I hit the lottery I will call them up. but not going to waste their time asking for a ball park when they have frames, like yours, to build.

Ferrari taste on a Camaro budget you know.
And I love the new Camaro but it ain't a Ferrari.
Old 03-04-2014   #17
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTurf View Post
Thanks for the input everyone. Cost and time are both factors with me. I'm not made of money (who is?) and I hope to be on the river by late May at the latest.

Sounds like some definite thumbs up votes and some cautionary advice.

One more question, does the powder coating prevent damage or is it for cosmetic reasons?

Thanks.
Pretty sure it's cosmetic. It is 1 3/8 galvanized stock ( forget the width ) so it shouldn't be for rust reasons. And it is prettier. Whether it's $200 prettier is up to you.
Old 03-04-2014   #18

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1982
We have an '04 Sotar cat frame which I believe is built by Cambridge. The frame is fine, but I have to agree, the shoebox type dryboxes aren't always dry. Granted, the front box of a cat will get more water from holes and waves hitting it than raft, but our next frame will have different style of boxes on it. When we substitute our frontierplay kitchen box in front, it's never gotten water in it.
tmacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016   #19

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Hey III300, would you mind posting a few pictures of how you strap those ammo cans down in the captain's box positions?

Also, some of your umbrella mounts? Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Mountain Buzz mobile app
SouthernSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016   #20

spokane, Washington
Paddling Since: 1984
here are a few photos for you SouthernSun.

I had the floor fabricated by a friend, based on a PRO design. Attached the Aluminum Angles for strapping down.

Bought the umbrella mounts from Cascade and attached with hose clamps. I like to put a 1/2" tubular webbing on the hose clamp for tube protection. They work great but I got a Bimini and they dont get much use anymore.

Mounts are copied from ELKHAVEN, Found a chunk of ABS plastic and bored a hole the frame tube size and cut it in half. Mounted the bimini on the block with a 1' strap underneath it. It folds forward for up and down use or I can move it behind the oar locks and fold it to back.
lll100 is offline   Reply With Quote