Old 11-22-2014   #11
East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
With the water rower the action is as smooth as can be- very similar to real rowing. Change the water level for more or less resistance. This is a beautifully made, quality piece. Noise is a gentle swooshing sound. Stand it up and wheel it into a corner for storage. They make an aluminum one if you want a more modern look.

I have nothing against the Concept 2- it's a fantastic machine- I just feel like in the home a beautiful, quiet, effective device is more desireable. I really feel that the workout is comparable, but I'm happy to leave the WaterRower out in my home. People often compliment it for its build quality and materials.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

Osseous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014   #12
Plunk your magic twanger!
New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
The company I work for just put a WaterRower in our workout room. My wife, who works for the same company, tried it the other day and just told me about it. She didn't understand how to change the resistance so I was actually just looking these up this morning. It was set up to be very easy to row and she felt it wasn't giving her much of a workout. I would love to get on a rowing machine this winter and this might actually get me into the workout room!

Osseous, how practical is this machine in a gym? Would it be a pain to keep changing the amount of water in it to fit my workout? I'm not sure how many other people are using it.

Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014   #13
East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
You only need to adjust the water to a suitable "weight"- then the speed and strength of your pull will determine how difficult your workout is. Hard to explain, but the harder your "catch" or initial pull is, the more resistance you will feel. You need to get the volume of water circling the tank- so the feel is very much like a real boat. I never change my water volume- I just row harder or faster to increase intensity.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014   #14
jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1976
Dumb bells

location unknown
stuntsheriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014   #15
Anchorage, Alaska
Paddling Since: 1990
Keep it simple

Lots of options besides expensive equipment or gym memberships. Do some googling about exercise bands - not much you can't get done. They're inexpensive, simple and safe. Simple rowing exercises and push ups will provide the basics for your needs. Other band exercises can help with full body muscular fitness. Walking/running/swimming/biking will take care of your overall endurance. Yoga for flexibility and balance. I'm 66 and believe me it doesn't get easier. I do belong to an athletic club but for many years used the system described above and it worked fine. Good luck.
Alaskajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014   #16
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I rowed in college and we used the Concept II machines. They're torture devices. Then again, we were trying to push our times to the limit. It's a different motion than rowing a raft though, if that's what you're trying to simulate. They are good for a full body workout though and you can get an intense workout in a short period of time. If you go that route, as someone mentioned, learn to do it right to protect your back.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014   #17
Ashlandistan, Oregon
Do you all really pull that much on the river?
solboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014   #18
cedar city, Utah
I pull about half the time, maybe less. During rapids I push more but most rivers I do have more flat water than whitewater.

There is nothing else that mimics oar rigs as close. Versa climbers and some of those pedal machines that are used with arms help develop upper body cardio stamina but that don't remotely mimic the rowing mechanics.

Imperfect but close enough to be worth the effort.

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014   #19
Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Originally Posted by solboater View Post
Randaddy does. I wimped out and bought an outboard.

Seriously though, I generally push until I'm in either a must-make move or fighting into a headwind. Utah rivers give lots of opportunity for pulling... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014   #20
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Originally Posted by solboater View Post
It isn't all, or even a mostly arm workout. The torso is a major player, and I have found it tough to get that type of workout any other way. Cardio for your back? It also really helps when surfing my cat, I had 3 minimum 60 s surfs last Sunday on the Lochsa, and it is tiring!

I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote