Mountain Buzz banner

Rope wraps

4K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  wayne23 
#1 ·
I spent a few hours in the garage today wrapping my new oars. The first sentence in the instructions I read said rope wrapping is not easy. The second sentence should have been. This is an understatement.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

#8 ·
Has anyone done this for wooden oars? I'm refinishing mine and have thought to do a rope wrap. But does this leave moisture next to the oar? How do you prevent rot?
The wraps dry out just fine (poly doesn't absorb water) and the thick layer of epoxy and the finish you've applied to your oar likely protect it just fine. Your oars should be pretty waterproof after they are finished.

Sawyer sells a kit, but I bought the cord and epoxy at True Value. I don't own the last oars I wrapped anymore, but I bet that rope is still on them.

#11 ·
Ive wrapped a ton of wooden oars over the last 8 years. Not sure what moisture you are talking about. The only moisture involved when I wrap them is the bed of thickened epoxy that they are set in. I wrap oars for $50 a pop. After you buy the $25 sawyer rope (which is the best, most dense rope for the application) the labor comes out to $25. I think anyone that has done it would agree that that is a fair price for a professional job.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.