Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting > Rafting | Gear Talk

Click Here to Register

Quick Links
Buzz Forums
Home / Portal
View by Forums
View w/o Forums
Partner's Forum
Access & Safety
Kayaking Forum
Kayak Trip Planner
Kayak Gear Talk
Rafting Forum
Rafting Gear
Rafting Trips
Snowriders' Forum
General Boating
SUP
Lost & Found
Betty Buzz
The Eddy

Photo Gallery
Creeking
Rodeo & Freestyle
Snow Riding
Member's Albums
Upload Photos
Classified Ads
Whitewater Kayaks
Kayak Accessories
Rafts/Accessories
Other Boats
Skiing & Boarding
Want Ads
Industry Jobs
Place an Ad

Old 06-11-2011   #1

Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1964
Rocky Mountain Rafts Input

Hey, anyone out there have an option on the new Rocky Mountain Rafts?
Material quality, construction..etc? Love to hear it>

Old 06-12-2011   #2

Silt, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
My buddy just bought one. Looks like a very well made boat. Lots of d-rings, good handles, I like the valve placement. Thermo-welded seems with a 5 year warranty, and you cant beat the price!! ($2000) From what I hear one of the top guys at NRS started the company so it looks just like an expedition series boat but without the price tag.

Happy floating!!

Old 06-12-2011   #3

Lindon, Utah
Paddling Since: 2010
I posted about this in another thread a few days ago, but I have had my 16ft Rocky Mountain Raft for a little over a month now and have done a few 5 day trips, with great results. The floor is really heavy duty which is a positive but it does make it hard to roll if you are not planning on storing it inflated. In fact next to my buddy's 16ft Avon rolled up, the rocky mountain boat in it's included cover is probably twice the size or more. We did the San Juan from Mex Hat to Clay Hills at super low water last month and it was great. It rode fairly high in the water and slid over the rocks nicely. We had it out a couple of weeks ago on a trip down the Yampa at about 20,000 cfs and it performed well there too. There are some nitpicky things I could complain about like the D-rings that I strap the 4 corners of my frame to, should really be angled in toward the frame instead of strait up and down, and my floor pressure release valve is a little low psi, which I hear they have upped on the boats in stock now, but other than that I cant think of any real negatives. You always hear that you get what you pay for, but on this one I think I got more than I paid for. A really good boat at a really great price.
Carl
Old 06-12-2011   #4

TOUCHDOWN, Mississippi
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilge Rat View Post
I posted about this in another thread a few days ago, but I have had my 16ft Rocky Mountain Raft for a little over a month now and have done a few 5 day trips, with great results. The floor is really heavy duty which is a positive but it does make it hard to roll if you are not planning on storing it inflated. In fact next to my buddy's 16ft Avon rolled up, the rocky mountain boat in it's included cover is probably twice the size or more. We did the San Juan from Mex Hat to Clay Hills at super low water last month and it was great. It rode fairly high in the water and slid over the rocks nicely. We had it out a couple of weeks ago on a trip down the Yampa at about 20,000 cfs and it performed well there too. There are some nitpicky things I could complain about like the D-rings that I strap the 4 corners of my frame to, should really be angled in toward the frame instead of strait up and down, and my floor pressure release valve is a little low psi, which I hear they have upped on the boats in stock now, but other than that I cant think of any real negatives. You always hear that you get what you pay for, but on this one I think I got more than I paid for. A really good boat at a really great price.
Carl

Re: rolled size

You're comparing a hypalon boat to a PVC boat... Hypalon always rolls smaller than PVC due to the materials.
Old 06-12-2011   #5

Lindon, Utah
Paddling Since: 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleMissBoater View Post
Re: rolled size

You're comparing a hypalon boat to a PVC boat... Hypalon always rolls smaller than PVC due to the materials.
Yeah, I should have used a different example. Compared to my other friend's 16 ft Vanguard it is still about 20% bigger. It seems like it is just a really heavy duty wrap on the floor, (which is not a negative mind you) that makes it tough to roll any tighter.
Old 06-12-2011   #6

billings, Montana
Paddling Since: Tues
Send a message via Yahoo to mttodd
They are upping the psi on the floor valves on the new ones. They are also going to be overlapping the bottom wrap differently so the seams all point to the rear. Hell of a boat for the money. Definitely heavy. My buddy's 13 foot rm boat weighs about 10 pounds less than my 15' zephyr. Since the tributaries have priced themselves out of the market, they are probably the best price point boat available.
Old 06-13-2011   #7

legend
I have some in my shop in Boulder, and we'll have more next week. They are a great boat for the money, and they paddle very well.

Thanks,
Nick Wigston

Old 06-13-2011   #8
MB Partnership Director

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Here's another thread on the boats with a review I wrote up after taking one on Westwater.

Seems like a really good deal for a well-designed and well-built boat.

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Old 06-13-2011   #9

Golden, Colorado
Just bought a 12fter 2 weeks ago and it seemed like a great deal for a great boat. Its in Salida getting foot cups installed and I will take it out for its maiden voyage next weekend during fibark. Honestly, at this point nobody knows how they are going to hold up, but from the specs and for non-commercial use I think they will hold up great.
Old 06-20-2011   #10

Indian Hills, Colorado
Just a little RMRaft stoke: