Old 09-13-2011   #51
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
I've always thought that the gauge was the single most useless piece of equipment sold by river supply companies. Here are the results of my internal gauge:

Kneel on the boat in the center of a tube. If it creases the pressure is "soft" if it doesn't, the pressure is "firm." Now pump the floor. It will begin to release at whatever PSI the release valve is designed for, usually this is "firm."

Sorry to our friend from Montana, but you have been mislead about the usefulness of your low-pressure gauge. Of course you could use it to see who can blow the highest pressure around camp, or to establish consistency when filling balloons for a child's birthday party, but there is no way you can feel subtle differences within the range of "firm" while on the water.

Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011   #52
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Originally Posted by Randaddy View Post
..... but there is no way you can feel subtle differences within the range of "firm" while on the water.
Come on Randy - you just have to 'believe'.

carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011   #53
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I just can't believe that a $35 gauge is going to be accurate to 1/4 psi. It may "show" you that it is, but I doubt that this is the case.
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011   #54
sh$t show voyeuor/host
Barnard(Marshall), North Carolina
Paddling Since: wen?
I don't doubt that it is possible to have different pressures in your tubes, but you would have to pump up one chamber very tight While the others are very loose) and completely extend and stretch out the baffles into the adjacent chambers to get such a difference. To do so you would either have no idea how to properly inflate a boat, or you are topping off all the chambers in the morning when you have only one with a leak. Have you ever noticed a funny indentation in the outer tubes near the baffles? That means they are stretched tight because one chamber is tighter than the other. I do have an air gauge(total waste of $) and I never use it, I can tell if my boat is tight or not, or if one chamber needs more air. Does anyone keep their gauge in their PFD so they can check their tubes halfway through the day, just in case the sun is shining more on one side of the boat and throwing off the pressure?
matt cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011   #55
portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
With a cat you can be significantly different from tube to tube. With an aire cat the end of the bladder moves a lot and inflating unevenly probably doesnt harm it, other than probably moving the zipper between the cells

I have a gauge but only use it to give the rookies on the float something they cant fuck up while we are rigging "go around the boat and top off to 2.5 psi". It keeps them busy while im drinking my coffee and rigging my boat

I paid $10 for my guage but had to modify to work with leafield
Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it "guaranteed", I will. I got spare time.
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012   #56
out there, Colorado
What size frame/oars are people using on the 14 foot boats? Any pics of the boats rigged up would be good to see as well.
boredrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012   #57
overcrowdedskitown, Colorado
I'd like to see some pics as well, and the frame/oar info may be useful to others as well
Iraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012   #58
Old 07-22-2012   #59
East, Idaho
i have the 14' rmr 2011 model, bought new this year. I purchased a used 66"x88" bighornII on nrs gearswap. This frame is big for the boat (long) but the width puts the oarlock speedrail tee just outside the tube centerline. With DRE towers and cobra locks it is 74.5" lock-to-lock.

I'm planning to cut the frame down to 82" length. This would put the front and back nrs fittings just past the seam between the straight tubes and first kicked tube section. I thought it might be better to not bear directly on the seam. It's 78" seam-to-seam on the flats. RMR spec reads 82". whatever. get a raft then a frame.

I've only rowed with 9' oars (borrowed so far). 10' Sawyer polecat with lam fir pro tip blades should arrive next week. 9' has worked fine, but I'm looking forward to those 10'ers

Comments on 14' RMR in general. It is thick. The '11 models have a full wrap (glued) on the bottom and a full chafe area (glued) around all tubes (which is uncommon and was not repeated for '12, it's just on the flats). All other construction is welded. It makes rolling to store a bear which is my MO now cause I don't have the dough for a trailer yet. Rolled size about 4'wx3'dx2'h (which is a little loose). I have had it loaded with 7 passengers and me rowing (two were toddlers) and it handles fantastic. Floor is high and relatively dry and stiff enough to fish from with any sense of balance, etc.

Only negative I have seen so far is that the bottom tube wrap has an 'uphill lap'. In other words the lap seam is catching current, rocks, etc. rather than being lapped correctly and skipping over. So, I'll probably start rigging with floor valve in back on all day trips and only have this incorrect lap issue when I have to keep the valve accessible up front with an overnight load in the rear. The wrap is actually already peeling 1 sq. cm area where it meets the floor at the center back (not really a wear point). I think RMR is suffering under the weight of their super thick fabric. It might be overkill. I'd rather have that bomber protection and touch up the glue on the wear layer every so often, though, so I'm not complaining. Plus, if it becomes a big issue I'm sitting on a 5 yr warranty.

Hope this helps.
baseline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012   #60
do you think 9.5 oars would be ok or are 10's the way to go?