Old 07-10-2015   #11
Denver, Colorado
I stopped by raftfixx's place this morning and he was super helpful, said the boat was in great shape and has plenty of life in it for fun and more fun. He suggested putting in a self bailing floor and keep it rowing as it was meant to be! Reinforce some d rings, patch the strafe at the seam where it's splitting and get on down river!
I think I'll keep the boat for now, I won'tshare what he offered to buy it for after looking it over for awhile, but it was what I would call a good price based on what I paid for it!
He's a great guy and was very helpful with ideas and suggestions, hope boats stop needing repair so I can enjoy a beer on the river with him instead of just dropping some off for him to dream of waves while he sips/gulps!
If you need work done, check him out, short wait time and super knowledgeable and am pretty sure he does some of the best work available!

jonseim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015   #12
Montrose, Colorado
Had a 14' RMR. What everyone else says is accurate and good advice. Unless you can find more money, or stumble on a great deal on a used Hypalon, go with the RMR. I sold mine for a a little less than what I paid for it to get a lighter boat.
RMR was bomber, and that extra weight is really nice for punching rapids.
My first boating trips were as a passenger on a bucket boat. Others had SB, and I swore when I bought a boat it would be a SB.

QuietHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015   #13
Paddling Since: 1994
That boat wasn't your run of the mill commercially used boat. The thing was damn near pristine. No wear, no seam tape peeling, no UV damage, not even the logo was faded much less the material. Minor cosmetic stuff is it. Great boat. With a new floor in it, that thing will sell for 2500+.
zach baird
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015   #14
Denver, Colorado
Thanks again Zach, it was a pleasure to meet you, let me know if you want to join my wife and I on Monday for a pumphouse run down to state bridge for some fun and sun!
Old 07-10-2015   #15
Paddling Since: 1994
Thanks, but unfortunately I cant get up there on monday.
zach baird
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015   #16
Denver, Colorado
Missed ya today, had a pbr and a mamas little yella pils for you though!
Old 07-13-2015   #17
OTR, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I picked up a (new) 14' RMR last November on a deal as well and have been happy with it. It is heavy and rolls into a large size off the river but the price was right for a first timer and I have had a lot of fun paddling class I-IV in it this season. Don't have anything else to compare it to ownership-wise. Smaller rolls and the lighter weight of hypalon is something I would like to get into some day but for my first raft purchase I am very happy with the price and expected durability in years to come (even though a mouse chewed a hole in the floor... good thing I figured out how to store my boat properly before buying a sotar).
SKeen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015   #18
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
I absolutely love my RMR.

What folks are saying about weight and rolled size is correct; its heavier and bulkier.
The trade off in my opinion is, they are more bomber on the river. The double wrapped floor may add weight and bulk...but when you slide over a rock you know its not scrapping your actual tubes.

I like the performance of the raft as well. I've got a RMR 10.5 storm. Which is comparable to the Hyside Mini-Max. I've R2ed both and honestly prefer the storm. It's got 2 more inches of rise(26 total) and really punches through stuff when you need it.
Off river weight and bulk aren't that hard to deal with, for the price RMR's can't be beat.

J. Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015   #19
Denver, Colorado
Hadn't thought about the double wrapped floor. Yesterday, I ran Yarmony on Pumphouse poorly and took on some water. As someone mentioned it would have been great to see that wall of water come over the rail and then be gone 10 seconds later. It took more like 10 minutes of wife and I using big squirt guns to empty the boat. Forget what they're called, but 20" tube, pull the handle back and it sucks up water, you spray it up to 70 feet.
Best part is it doubles as a squirt gun for invading pirates or just plain fun.
Pretty sure we will upgrade the floor this fall unless I find a great hypalon boat for super cheap.
Old 07-14-2015   #20
cedar city, Utah
To be fair, most modern hypalon (or comparable) boats have double wrapped floors as well and still come in 12-20 pounds lighter than an RMR of comparable length.

And they do call them bucket boats for a reason.....we use those Stream Machines for the final, stubborn portions of water that like to hide in the seam but a five gallon bucket goes a lot further for the initial work.

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote