Old 11-10-2014   #21
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
Originally Posted by jrankin View Post
Hey paddlers,
I'm in the market for a small boat that I would paddle mostly on the Poudre River. I'd like to use it to paddle R2--4, maybe 5. Because I am a raft guide...
Mini-max, no question. If you are a guide on the Poudre you know there is no other boat. It's possible you have R4'd in my boat this summer; I took mine down the Poudre 25 times this summer. I got the neo and it is awesome. The difference between the neoprene and hyphalon is that neoprene isn't as UV resistant and doesn't take pigment (just 303 it and accept that black looks awesome). Perhaps the neoprene is a little stickier but I don't have much to compare it too. We are able to rock splat Michael Bolton and Disneyland in it R2ing so it can't be that sticky. This sentiment of the minimax flipping easy is somewhat unwarranted, especially on the Poudre. In big water that might be the case but I only [unintentionally] flipped it twice this summer, both times on Claire's rock because I wasn't paying attention. The Puma is great from what I hear, but more expensive and not as accepting of a frame and groups because it's narrower. I have an oar frame for the mini-max and it'll take everything for a 4 day float trip. Why get anything bigger if you have access to a 14 ft otter? Nothing tracks like a minimax, it turns on a dime and at 70lbs I can put it on the roof of my 4runner myself. You can easily take 5 in a mini-max not feeling cramped, and that boat is made for the Poudre. You don't need anything bigger. No question. What is the oldest boat in your company fleet; a Hyside. When you get one we should float together next season.

"Ski bums need something to do in the summer, and river rats need something to do in the winter." -Old Colorado mountain bum adage
almortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014   #22
flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 89
10 year old Hyside One patch

The most requested boat for sure

moetown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014   #23
East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
It's probably still stuck in there....

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014   #24
flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 89
209 Eyepeeler

Thanks to the David Hortemiller stunt crew for reporting back on the 209m portal.
Attached Files
moetown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014   #25
seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1983
Just saw this. Might save you some $$$. Never had one in the the water but Aire makes a good product.
white water raft

mowgli is offline   Reply With Quote