Riverbank VS Ecosafe thrones - Page 6 - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-27-2016   #51

Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2014
Merry, why do you want to use the tank or reservoir only? Price concerns? Size concerns? If it is size concerns, Selway fabrication makes a miniature riverbank. My toilet, the Riverbank II came with two of the inner reservoirs. I have only used it in conjunction with the outershell. It looks like it would be really easy to use solo. However the outer shell does not add a lot of extra bulk and provides a lot of extra comfort and protection. Also, as Nate Hill from Selway Fabrications explained, the outer shell protects the inner reservoir from overheating from sunlight. Thus no need for a safety or pressure valve. Also, the outer layer protects the lid and inner canister from compression, stress or anything else that could cause a rupture or catastrophic failure to the reservoir. I don't think it's absolutely necessary, but because of the reasons above, I will probably always use the whole system together.

I'm in the process of airing mine out right now. When I was done having it cleaned at the porta potty place, I put it in my toolshed. This was a huge mistake as it really stunk that shed up. Right now, I have it out in the sun in my backyard. Does anyone have any ideas to speed this along? Would Febreeze work on this?

Dr.AndyDVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2016   #52

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 2012
Dr Andy - bleach water and sunshine, my man, and a shot of Lysol when you store it.
seantana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016   #53

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I'm actually in the process of airing out my Selway tank as well right now. I just got back from a trip and after I washed it out I filled it with dawn soap and a bunch of bleach. I normally let that soak for a couple days. Then I will pour it out in my neighbors lawn and let the tank air our for a week. I spray with a bleach based cleaning solution used for bathrooms and it seems to work pretty well.
Riverwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016   #54

Albuquerque, New Mexico
I have the opportunity to purchase an inner vault so am wondering if I need the outer box.
merryruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016   #55

billings, Montana
Paddling Since: Tues
Send a message via Yahoo to mttodd
I know a couple people that use just the inner vault. Not the best setup. But they got them free from a mine that used to use them underground. Dr.Andy sums it up pretty well. I would get the shell if your budget allows. I'm looking for an extra tank for mine if you go a different route. As for airing them out, mine will hold a funk for a week outside after heavy bleach and chlorinated trisodium phosphate. Get it at the home brew supply. That stuff is awesome for cleaning/sanitizing.
mttodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016   #56

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
Quote:
Originally Posted by merryruth View Post
I have the opportunity to purchase an inner vault so am wondering if I need the outer box.
For cost reasons or did you find one used or on sale or ??? I'm trying to find one on sale or used as well.

On the systems I've seen the outer shell works as a storage place as well. All of the TP, Cleaners, Treatments and other groover supplies fit between the inner tank and outer shell. If you don't have the outer shell then you have to find a different place to store all of that stuff. Just a thought.
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016   #57

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Thanks all, for the replies. I found an unused one on consignment here in ABQ and purchased it, but am still deciding if I can use it without a shell. If I decide to sell it (and go with an Ecosafe instead), I'll list it here on Mountainbuzz in the classified section.

From everything I've read, here and elsewhere, the principle use of the outer shell is protection from rain and heat, plus storage for accessories. If there are any other reasons for having it, please let me know. The inner vault is quite stable by itself.
merryruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016   #58

Great Falls, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by merryruth View Post
but am still deciding if I can use it without a shell.
Nope, can't use it. Can't use it at all so you should just sell it to me.

I need it the most because I'm completely full of p**p
Old 09-28-2016   #59

Great Falls, Montana
Although admittedly, I'm in good company here.
Old 09-28-2016   #60

Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2014
Why not get both?

Merry,
How much did you pay for it? New is $190 for the inner tank. It's another $180 to get the whole system. You can use it solo for a while and if it doesn't work out, sell it. Or alternatively, you could buy just the outer shell only and complete your system. You have many options. At any rate, you're on your way to owning the Cadillac of river toilets.

Just say no to a small shit hole.
Dr.AndyDVM is offline   Reply With Quote