Old 04-03-2016   #11
Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I wear a Tilley hat. After many years, I had one wear out. They sent me a new one for free as their warranty states. The newest one has many years on it. I like the chin strap design. Mostly I wear it with the strap stuffed in the top, but if the wind comes up, it's quick and easy the pull the strap down.
The biggest reason I wear it is for sun protect on my face, ears and neck. It does great in the rain, unless it's a big, long downpour. Then it will get soggy, but I still wear it, wet as long as it's not cold out. When it's hot, I dunk it regularly to keep my head cool.

Karma is like this: If we set causes in motion the effects come back to us.
rwhyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016   #12
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I have been very happy with Tula hats.

Best Hats for Sun Protection | Wide Brim Hats for Summer

GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016   #13
Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Your sex appeal drops by at least 50% the instant you don one, but a cotton fisherman's hat is pretty darn functional. They're dirt cheap, will fold up and stow when it's windy, you can soak it in the water when it's hot, and it has enough lip to shade well for mid-day. Switch to a visor or ball cap cinched tight for the wind or angled for early- or late-day sun. I keep a Seattle Sombrero in the dry bag for wet days. I gave up on straw hats since they all seem to get floppy in the wind or squashed inadvertently.
Also, after leaving my hat and sun glasses hanging on a tree one morning, I always bring at least two of each. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016   #14
Renaissance Redneck
Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
I'm on my 3rd Shady Brady Crushable. Shady Brady Hat Company Theyre spendy (Birthday present) but they last about a decade . My first one blew off my head and sank in a swamp in Louisiana. Since then I glue a minicell disk in the crown for flotation. I also put a grommet in the back of the brim. I can clip it to the back of my PFD when it gets windy because stampede strings are just in the way.
"You're gonna be doin a lot of doobie rolling when youre LIVIN IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER"
LSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016   #15
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 95
Army surplus boonie for me. Pretty cheap, has a cord to keep it on in the wind, crushable and dunkable. Pretty comfy as well.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016   #16
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
I wear a straw cowboy shaped hat, But I think of river hats to be a disposable item. Lucky if they make it through a season. they get crushed in cars, sat on, dunked in the river, rained on, lost, who knows what happens but mine always look like shit after 2 months.
Treswright3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016   #17
Bend, N'A
Paddling Since: 2000
Check out NRS. The Gardner
rioperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016   #18
Old Guy in a PFD
Tucson, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1967
If money is no object ......................$290; be the first!
Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016   #19
sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1983
My favorite hat is the Barmah vent top hat. they are leather have a chin strap. My hair fled my head long ago and the vent top really helps with sweat head.

joecoolives is offline   Reply With Quote