Old 08-03-2005   #1
riken rafts???

does anyone have any thoughts on a riken raft? all i know is that they are mostly hypalon and made in mehico for NRS by guys they get to drink tecate and look at boats all day ( not a bad gig!) anyway, they seem to be mid priced between a vanguard/star and and NRS/hyside....any thoughts, comparisons or reviews would be helpful...thanks!!!

senorlinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005   #2
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
I haven't been in one since '89 but it was the biggest piece of shit ever. They were very soft when inflated and the material would get wear holes all over, like under your ass. Had a custy put a hole in one with one of those combs with a pointy end. The material weight on them now is pretty heavy 51oz. for a 850 denier material, compare to NRS 48oz./1100 denier. Most of the weight is the rubber not the actual material, I think you would have a heavy boat that tears easy and long. Look at the NRS Otter series for a low price. I worked for Clear Creek Rafting and they had a few Otters,and a few of the Sport series as well, they held up comparable to Hyside (I was the guy who did the repairs so I'd know). If they hold up on Clear Creek they make it anywhere.

Enjoy the new boat, whatever you get!

riojedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016   #3
Moab, Utah
Paddling Since: 1995
Riken Charger II

I boat in a 14' Riken Charger II that's been on the Colorado for over 30 years, still tight as a drum. There is no river in America that's harder on gear than the Colorado. Silt in the water invades and abrades any and all seams. Riken hypolon has a sterling rep among guides as being durable as all-get-out. That grey/red/black is recognizable anywhere.
TonyMancuso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016   #4
Rainy Northwest, Washington
Paddling Since: 1980
As far as I know, they don't make them any more. But they were, and are, the bomb. Outfitters still run 10 or 15 year old riken boats. . I just retired a 40 year old riken a couple of years ago.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
swiftwater15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016   #5
Denver, Colorado
I'm looking at a used Riken Miwok as a first raft that has been recently resealed by Inflatable Technologies. The post above is the only bad thing I've heard about these boats other than admissions that they are not light (which you can see by looking, to me).
markhusbands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016   #6
Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1975
The Pro level Rikens are Bomber. Miwoks, Cheyennes, NezPerce, Shosone, etc. Yes they're heavy but you will never need another boat. The Pioneers and River Riders were made with thinner material.

There's a Cheyenne on Craigslist in McCall ID right now that I would get in a heartbeat if it was closer.

I loved the Rikens back in the 80's, but most of my old Guide friends blame all their middle age back problems on them.........
Aerocam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016   #7
Gary F
Philipsburg, Montana
Paddling Since: 1984
I don't know anything about these new Rikens but over 30years ago I worked on rivers using them and they were awesome. Eventually, also 30 years ago, i bought a 15 ft riken river rider bucket boat. It was awesome. Eventually the sun rotted the material but it was a great boat.
kokoroltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016   #8
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2008
There's an 18'er for sale on

Classifieds for Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming |
tanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016   #9
Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I thought that NRS took over/bought Riken. They now offer their version of the Cheyenne and NezPersce and I think a couple others of the old Riken designs. I have an NRS Cheyenne and really love it! Also, I am of the opinion that Rikens that are left out there are pretty bomber
Fuzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016   #10
Denver, Colorado
Yeah, the NRS ones look great, and don't have all the armoring and rub rails and stuff that the early rikens had. I guess that is out of vogue these days. More confidence in the materials? I don't know.

markhusbands is offline   Reply With Quote