Mountain Buzz banner

rigging buckets

8K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  azpowell 
#1 ·
anybody have any special, clever ways of rigging gamma-lidded buckets, slippery, awkward-shaped, yet affordable things that they are?

#5 ·
I too throw my buckets in my drop bag. Before I had a drop bag I bought a bucket strap. it is basically a cam strap that goes under the bucket and straps over the top with two webbing loops that go around the bucket and are sewn to the strap. There are a few D-Rings sewn on the straps for attachment. Other options is to throw the bucket in a cheap duffel bag and strap down the duffel bag or strap the bucket into a milk crate.

#6 ·
I just put them on the bottom of the pile. I have a beaver board for the back so they sit on that. I can get 5 in that location plus a few ammo cans. Then i stack other gear on top of them.

On a recent MF trip I stacked two on my rear deck outside a pair of dry bags. I used this "solid perch" to strap a gun case for quick access. Prior to that I hung them with beeners to the pile rigging. Now my great pile is smaller so that doesn't work.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

#8 ·
I've drilled holes through the ridge of plastic which the handle is atached to, then tied in steel rings from the hardware store with Parachute cord.
Another option is to put them on the side boards and run a strap across them, with the strap set in between those same plastic ridges, provided the bucket has two of them.
Bottom of the gear pile is best though.

Be careful with the o-rings on the Buckets, as they will leak if you ever pinch them in the threads.
Obviously don't trust them for anything that you couldn't manage without.For instance, I love em for bread, but I always have some flour in my rocket box just in case.

#11 ·
You can buy bucket slings on Amazon. They are not made for river use and the ones I've seen don't buckle shut. You can also learn the bucket sling knot.

Traditionally tied the bucket sling know only has one strap across the bottom that is easily shifted to the side so I don't think that is ideal.

If Cascade is designing a new system that sounds ideal.

#14 ·
I removed the metal handle and tied small prussik loops through the plastic holes where the handle was. On my big rig, I have two side rails, so the bucket rests nicely between them, and it is easy to strap through the prussiks to the frame. On my small cat, I can keep the buckets upright and strap from the prussik to the frame in the rear cargo module.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

#15 ·
Hey Mark!

How about putting a plywood deck with holes cut in it that are just the right size for the bucket. You slide the bucket in until the wider ridge where the handle attaches rests on the plywood. A quick strap over the top of the bucket keeps it in place. With 5 gallons of storage space per bucket you can get a lot of storage for not much money.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.