Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting > Rafting | Gear Talk

Old 08-14-2015   #1
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Reinforcing worn Paco Pad/Aire Landing Pad/NRS RiverBed corners with aquaseal?

The corners of my river pad are starting to show the scrim in the outer layer of PVC/corner condoms. I was thinking of adding a layer of aquaseal over the wear areas to reinforce it before it gets worn through to the inner layer of PVC as an easy fix.

Has anyone tried reinforcing worn Paco Pad/Aire Landing Pad/NRS RiverBed corners with aquaseal?

Is this an effective fix for the issue or should i be thinking of adding a 2nd layer of corner condoms?

spenceuiuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015   #2
I imagine condoms would be better but aqua sealed mine 5 years ago and have no problems since. I was even worn completely through on one corner.

friend of the fork, knife, and spoon
peterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015   #3
north little rock, Arkansas
If it's a Landing Pad you need to contact Aire. I called them several years ago for that reason. I was merely looking for advice since it seemed like reasonable wear to me, but they asked me to send it in for replacement with a new redesigned version. They charged me twenty bucks I think, and the replacements are wearing much less on the corners.
lncoop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015   #4
Jenks, Oklahoma
never any edge problems on my JPW paco pads.

did have an abrasion spot on one (my fault) and used AquaSeal and that repair was bomber.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015   #5
Paddling Since: 1994
As much as I dislike aquaseal, that would be a fine application for it.
zach baird
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015   #6
SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 1983
I repaired my Paco pad with a couple of patches of repair material (like the new ones come with) and my wife's with Aquaseal. After 10 years, mine are solid and hold air and after about 3 years the Aquaseal is peeling off my wife's. I'd take a few more minutes and put a real patch on each corner. It will help a lot to do it before the material wears through so you are not sealing a hole but just protecting the inner material. I just got off a trip in which a very old Paco pad with well worn and visibly open corners became the deepest part of an upside down boat for awhile and came out very heavy and wet for the rest of the trip.
paulster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015   #7
Paddling Since: 1994
Adding new corner condoms, ie: 3" round patch, is definitely better than aquaseal
zach baird
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015   #8
Corrales, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2005
JPW in Aztec gave me a free mod kit when I stopped by a few months ago. 3 inch rounds that you glue onto the corners. Call them and I'm sure they'd hook you up.

southbound is offline   Reply With Quote