Paddling Since: 1991
Originally Posted by orto11 View Post
when aluminum flexes it gets weaker and breaks
Tell that to an airplane wing...

elkhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014   #12
Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1990
when aluminum flexes it gets weaker and breaks, I have seen 3 of his galvanized river tables break now.
Aluminum is not ever "galvanized". I agree that aluminum can crack, but there are many different grades. The lower the number like 3003 tread-brite is often used for deck material and is very soft and will not crack unless it is bent excessively and work hardened. 6061 on the other hand is typically too hard to bend without cracking unless it has been annealed (which softens it). Using the right grades of aluminum in the right places on a raft is crucial to its ability to hold up under the stress that a river and rafter put it under. Rafters are notoriously hard on gear!

GC Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014   #13
The Go Light Guy
Joshua Tree, California
Paddling Since: 1980
Lightweight Frame?

Interesting discussion and some good points raised. It should be possible for almost any welder to weld the joints for you. Galvanized is very toxic though, so vent thoroughly! I have never thought of a 4-bay frame with 3 drop bags and 2 tables as a lightweight rig though! We typically run the MF and other week-long excursions in our small cats with our "expedition" frames that weigh about 40 pounds, have rock solid joints and breakdown for travel and flight. One just went as baggage with us to Peru! Made by another on the Buzz. Check out or the website for more info. Good luck with the project and getting the MF Salmon permit!
nnikirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014   #14
Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Thanks for the links, that's some nice stuff.
Lightweight is relative... It's still a 15' boat, and is my big gear hauler. Currently I can fill up a nearly 4'x2' dry box, line up 5 rocket boxes, fill the cooler, have room in the cockpit for a pair of captains boxes, nestle the fire pan under the dunnage pile, and pop the bimini up over all of it. Setting up to carry a few gamma buckets and a whole bunch of dry bags, and I can still support others paddling mini-me's or kayaks but draft 3 fewer inches, maybe without ALL of the creature comforts but still have an easy trip.
And even when I'm fully rigged, it's still lighter than the barges I pushed commercially! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014   #15
NorCal, California
Paddling Since: 91
Originally Posted by orto11 View Post
Sorry wavester but who told you that , Timmy ? lol
when aluminum flexes it gets weaker and breaks, I have seen 3 of his galvanized river tables break now. Recretec is not what it used to be when Eddy and Ron owned it. I enjoyed buying stuff from them and they had good products. I don't even know if any of the employees speak English there anymore.
I don't have a galvanized frame or table. I have a breakdown aluminum frame which is not recommended by Recretec due to the flex at the joints in the breakdown sections. But I wanted light and breakdown so I took my chances, it's working out so far. I'm hardly an expert in metallurgy but their stuff looks well made to me and on par with other frames I have owned including DRE, AAA, NRS.

Wavester is offline   Reply With Quote