Old 08-23-2014   #11
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Originally Posted by malloypc View Post
Did you ever give the Joey a trial run?
Yes, and it worked well. While it's not as comfortable as my Lafuma, it was fine for use as a kayak touring chair. The height it much better than the others I've looked at with similar designs (REI, Big Agnes Heliox). It's easy to set-up, and the height was very easy to get in and out of with a bum knee. Some friends had the Heliox chairs on a recent trip. They have a little wider seat, but a slightly shorter height. Nice chairs, but a little too low for me. The only negative with these chairs is the skinny legs/little feet. They are strong, and you can lean back in them, but they tend to sink in sand or soft dirt. Another friend made removable pvc cross supports to help with that problem. I made some and they worked ok, but not perfect. Here are some pictures of the chair, showing packed size, chair height, and the pvc leg supports.

"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love....and then we return home."
Australian Aboriginal Proverb
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014   #12
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
But I was hoping to find it in a larger size. This one is the right size but it's all canvas and once soaked takes a while to dry:

REI Camp Xtra Chair - Free Shipping at
If you like this one you could pack it in a long tent dry bag. That's what we do with our chairs, always dry when we get to camp.

RivRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014   #13
Albany, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2002
Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
Yes, and it worked well. While it's not as comfortable as my Lafuma, it was fine for use as a kayak touring chair. ...They are strong, and you can lean back in them, but they tend to sink in sand or soft dirt. Another friend made removable pvc cross supports to help with that problem. I made some and they worked ok, but not perfect.
Thanks, looks like it may also be better than a traditional chair for star gazing.
I can see how the legs would sink deep easily in sand and the pvc looks like a good mitigation.
If I go with one I might play around with flat feet pads or something like that.
malloypc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014   #14
Durango, Colorado
FYI, TravelChair has a new bigger version of the Joey coming out for next year as well as a larger model with arm rests (looks kinda goofy, but seems functional). They also have new feet that don't sink as much in the sand.

I've had the Joey for a while and it is a nice chair, but at 6'2 I'm gonna get the bigger one. I also found that the Joey made my legs fall asleep after sitting in it for long periods of time.

I also have the TravelChair Big Kahuna, and while its pretty heavy and bulky, its the most comfy and durable chair I've ever had.
storm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014   #15
Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
it's interesting that I would see your post right now. I was having the same problem, and looking for a good rafting chair for tall people. I'm 6 foot 1 inch and my requirements were lightweight, tough and roll up into a cylinder style chair. my favorite is the anti gravity folding chair, but they fold up flat, so it doesn't pack well on the raft. I was at Costco yesterday and found the best chairs yet for me. they were much taller than any I've ever tried, and they didn't let me sink into them. And the weight rating was 350 pounds. they didn't have a brand on them, but the label says Jarden TLG8 oversized high back chair. if you have a Costco near you you may want to see if they have any. I think they are mostly a collegiate branded item.I was shocked at how light weight they are, but they are the padded canvas type. Hope that helps at all
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014   #16
Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I started the thread and I can tell you what I wound up with. I bought an ALPS Mountaineering Mesh Getaway chair (actually bought two of them). They have been awesome. They put you in a bit more relaxed position but they offer the following benefits:

• Cost - picked mine up for $29/each shipped
  • Mesh - they are full mesh and dry quickly
  • Nap - for a 6'2" person, the top of the chair allows me to put my head back and be fully supported for the all-important nap.
  • Fully fold-able
  • Nice gauge frame & reinforced seams with good construction
  • Cup holder and cooler pocket - I use the cooler pocket for nalgene or larger bottles.
Anyway - seems like a lot of places are out of stock now but I've been
"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great."
Read_N_Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014   #17
Plunk your magic twanger!
New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I ended my quest this year when I found this: Fireside Chair | Browning Camping.

It met most of my (and your) criteria. It fits a larger person, packs down reasonably, has a mesh seat, AND REAL ARMRESTS! It is longer than the standard sling arm chairs so it doesn't fit in my drybox. It is a little heavier and bulkier but I was willing to make those sacrifices. The cupholder is worthless but I bring my day cooler to camp and it serves as a nice side table. My favorite features of this chair are the high back which supports my head and the rigid armrests.

It is manufactured by MAC Sports for Browning but I haven't found it available under any other name.

Oops, I see now that you found something already. Hope it will help someone else.

Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote