Old 07-16-2009   #1
Right near the beach...BOYEEEEE, Brahbrobrahdo
Re-Decking a Snowmobile/Raft Trailer

Anyone ever done this?
If so...around how much did it cost to HAVE it done?? it easy to do yourself??

Brotorboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009   #2
I'm right 50% of the time
Paddling Since: 1977
2 4x8 sheets of 1/2 or 3/4 inch plywood. Use a sealant coat on the wood. The tough garage floor paint is nice, use a lighter color. Wrap with outdoor carpet if so inclined. Total cost should be under $100.

Claimer: Someone that makes a claim that they have been there and done that, can do anything you can do better than you. I hate "claimers"
brendodendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009   #3
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I just redid my trailer this spring. It is really easy to do yourself. It probably took me a total of four hours. I used two half inch 4x8 sheets. I then wrap each board individually with outdoor carpet. I glued the carpet down and then wrap the carpet around to the back side and stapled it down. I did this to hopefully avoid peeling. Then i predrilled holes and screwed it down. Total cost was around $150. But it is well worth it.
ecarlson972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009   #4
Right near the beach...BOYEEEEE, Brahbrobrahdo
Thanks guys!

I guess I'll give it a shot this weekend...gonna try and re-do my lights as well...which are completely corroded.
Brotorboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009   #5
try trex...

I used 3/8 x 12" trex knock off trim boards, no need for sealant or carpet. I used 2 thru bolts at each end and in the middle. My boat slides on and off easily. I have had a couple of bolts loosen up on long, rough shuttles. But I'm happy.
leo_amore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009   #6
Ft Fun, Colorado
Paddling Since: 0001
i would steer away from the plywood if the trailer has to be strong enough for the momos after a couple years of weathering. id spend alittle more and use decking and screw it down with tek screws. i have redecked car carriers this way but using a much thicker board. if you screw down one end you can easily work out any warpage of the boards as you work your way down from crossmember to crossmember
NoCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009   #7
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2002
If you can spend a little extra I would try and find SkidGuard plywood. It is the same type that you see on some commercially produced river tables.
Kilo Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009   #8
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
I just did this to extend a 10 ft trailer to 12 ft. I used leftover 2x6 deck wood and deck screws. It was easy. It took about 4 hours and most of that was measuring.

"There is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Look here! If you've really nothing else on hand this morning, supposing we drop down the river together, and have a long day of it?" -Wind in the Willows
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote