Old 02-12-2016   #11
steamboat springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
I'm really looking forward to just setting it up once for the season!

jkr61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016   #12
Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Originally Posted by jkr61 View Post
Thanks for all the response's! I think I'm going to go with the flatbed with oar storage so that I can use it for a snowmobile trailer in the winter.
Why oar storage? Just strap them to the boat. That is unless thievery is a major concern. If so, I thank God I live where I live.

Sent from my XT1585 using Mountain Buzz mobile app

Yesterday's gone on down the river and you can't get it back. - Agustus McCrae
elkhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016   #13
Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
I think the key thing is whatever kind of trailer you use, it's light years nicer than doing the inflate, assemble, tear down, deflate, roll thing most of us started with. unless you don't go with any frequency. After that the details are gravy!

Feels like half the time I'm setting up others rigs since I'm always ready an hour before my non trailer brethren lol
My daughter and I on our maiden voyage brought our 16' oar frame rolled up to a club run. I showed up 90mins early out of fear of being that guy. Back home we both agreed the old utility trailer was going into service as a raft trailer, it was way too much work!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016   #14
I got some measurements for you guys. Mine has 21.5” clearance from the top of the trex to the bottom of the upper deck. Paul, mine’s only a 4ft tongue. 6x10box, 90 in top deck, about 8 in overhang on each side for the top deck, give or take an inch for the bar width. Then I left and forgot to measure from the ground to the top, but I have 13’ wheels so we could probably guesstimate.

Things I really like on mine are the trex and the torsion axle. I think the 4’ tongue is fine unless you want to do a motorcycle mount. I have a bike rack up there and it’s been fine. Utility wise it would be easy to make wings that are removable, or mine also has a bar that makes a rigid connector between the two ends of the wings when they are in the up position to hold them open, if you wanted to say stack boxes six feet high or something. Normally the wings are just held in the up position unloading gear by a little gate latch.

Good luck on your guys’ projects!
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016   #15
steamboat springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
jkr61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016   #16
NE, Oregon
I've watched these Rapid Rig trailer threads for a couple of years with interest. I really like some of the ideas that are incorporated into this trailer. The side doors and the lockable top especially. I've always held my tongue because I have never seen one in person until recently.
First I think the build quality is flat average. Secondly a 5x10 box will fill up fast if you carry more than 1 boat and all associated gear. Unless you need some specific feature of this trailer (lockable top) I think it is a touch over priced.

For the same money you could get a larger flatbed or utility style trailer and build a platform/rails for a boat. Or spend that money on an axle with brakes, or some other feature that lets the trailer have other uses. I highly recommend trailer brakes they add a ton of safety to any situation, and saves the tow vehicle.

I use a 6'x12' single 3500# axle (wish I had brakes) flatbed that I built wooden sides and rails for. The bottom of the rails are 24" from the deck, I think the rails are 42" from the ground. We commonly stack two boats on it. And stuff the bottom full of gear. I built side doors into mine and do use them, though not as much as I thought.

A few examples of this trailer's capacities
Last fall we filled the trailer to capacity and then some with a 15' and 18' boat stacked on top and all the gear for 9 days and 5 people, axle scaled just over 3600#.
Another time the trailer had boxes and coolers for 4 boats, 2 boats on top,2 rolled and all the community gear and some personal gear to support 12 for 5 days. Axle scaled just over 3600#.
Just did 5 days 6 people two 15' boats on top, all the gear pretty well filled it, didn't get a chance to scale it.
Last one, 15' and 13' boat on top, 16' and 18' rolled in trailer with boxes and coolers community gear etc etc. 15 people for 3 days. Was overloaded and had to dump water (no water at put-in, headache) and move the 16' out of the trailer and into the tow vehicle.

All I'm saying is they fill up fast and weigh a ton to begin with.

Of course this all boils down to what kind of boating you do the most and what will be most practical for you. As you can see I do mostly multi-day runs with small to large groups.

Good luck in your choice
Willie 1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016   #17
Which rapid rig did you see? Just wanted to clarify for your observations on quality. It sounds like it might have been one of this Randy guy's take offs that I'm not familiar with but some guys might be thinking about using him. I was just taking the thread from the point of a rapid rig style trailer. Actual Rapid Rig branded trailers are only made by Mirage out of Idaho for Cascade. The style was patented by a Colorado fishing guide named Walt Bergman who eventually licensed it to Mirage. Walt built my trailer. The Mirage ones are quite nice as well, and also pricey.

As far as the dimensions, I should note that mine was originally built for a fishing cat. So things like the top deck are pretty wide for a raft and I would probably move the winch, especially if I got a longer boat. I think the Mirage ones are 5x12. I've never attempted to carry as much gear as Willie though! I do a lot of multi-days with big groups but we each carry our own gear for the most part. I've never come close to thinking I needed brakes but dang willie, that's a shit ton of gear you are trying to carry. sounds like you need a dual axle or at least make someone else in your crew buy a truck! lol for carrying one or two boats and gear, the 6x10 works pretty well.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016   #18
Coastal, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1987
I am with Willie 1.5 on that one I have seen them in person,followed the rattling things down a gravel road for miles and they look a bit cheesy mediocre construction to me. Just basically a utility trailer with some stuff scabbed on. Just my opinion but I build traiers also and am pretty picky about stuff.
Some people don't mind middle of the road and if that works for them awesome,I just like my fancy gear.
GreenWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016   #19
Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
These trailers are perfect for some people everyone's needs are different. I will seriously consider when I upgrade. Think they really make sense for those lacking a truck with a family.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016   #20
glenwierd, Co.
Paddling Since: 05'
Flat deck pulled with a truck. I pull down the road partially rigged. It's hard to see the trailer in this pick.

I'd take that deal n crawfish, then drill that ole devil in the ass.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1455987214916.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	11034  

Panama Red is offline   Reply With Quote