Old 02-18-2006   #1
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
rafting frames- what's the best man./ design?

I'm looking to get a new frame for my 14' AIRE and want some input on what frame manufacturer/ design is the best all around.
Some of my wants are:

Being able to break it down for fly-in/ travel needs.
A main rowing compartment that can attach a front and rear fishing bay.
Flexibility to move/ enlarge/ reduce the size of a compartment.
Strength and rigidity to handle years of abuse.

Some of my concerns are whether a pinned frame is strong enough for years of abuse rowing class four water. Is that an issue or can a pinned frame hold up with the abuse? How long is its longevity? I know a welded frame will last almost for ever but again I would like the flexibility to break it down to run sections like the Gunni Gorge, etc.

Also how strong and solid are the connectors between the tubes. Is NRS's, AAA's, Down River's strong enough to hold tubes solidly? Which is best and why?

Finally, for you fisherman. Why do all frames have seats in the back compartment instead of a standing casting/ thigh brace?

If you have any insight, thoughts, or expertise in this area any info you could pass on would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Todd

toddj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006   #2
on your sister, ...
I've used a nrs breakdown type frame for about 4 years now. no problems. seems bombproof and easy to reconfigure. i always have a few extra connectors and nuts in the repair kit but never have needed them.

for the fly fishing question, i would guess the person in the rear only has a seat because a thigh bar would not stop someone pitching the fisherman into the rower if they hit a rock or wave while moving down the stream. Add to that they would be facing the wrong way and possibly oblivious to hazzards making the pitch even more likely.

i've seen all these frames from these different companies and i think they would all do well.
tuberslickmysweatyballs is offline   Reply With Quote