Old 04-07-2010   #1
Raft Wheels?

How are you guys moving your rafts around on land? Where I run, the rivers are usually along way from the car. We don't have many drive up boat ramps.

I got tired of dragging my boat down the Hudson put in trail. This is the last bit. It's about 200 yards from the car down to the river.

So I decided to build some wheels for my raft. I used 1 1/4 pipe. Actually I used the pipe that makes up my long camping frame. I got some Holleander fittings. #104 side outlet cross and #45 Square Floor Flange, which I cobbled together on a short piece of pipe.

1-1/4" IPS

I then mounted that on set of 10" pneumatic castors with a piece of plywood and some bolts. Ridged wheels on one end and swivel on the other.

- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

They look like this...

And put together it looks like this...

On the boat ready to go.

At the Hudson take out.

I am going to add a pvc pipe to the back rail to help the boat slide on better.

Has anybody else got a set of raft wheels?

Any suggestions for improvement?

BoscoBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010   #2
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Nice work BoscoBoater. I was going to say that if you have a raft without too much gear you and a buddy can carry it over your heads, but a cat is a different story. My brother has a shredder that his is going to put 4 handles on the inside of the tubes in the front and back so two people can carry it comfortably. Something like that is simple and would make it easier, but it looks like you have it figured out.

Are you going to make a 4X4 version?

If you are lucky enough to be in the mountains, you are lucky enough.
youngpaddler06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010   #3
My boats do have handles now, and if I only I had 3 other people to help me lift with them, I would be set. Unfortunately I have to move my raft by myself most of the time. The wheels also allow me to fully rig for a heavy gear trip while on the trailer and avoid making multiple trips back up to the parking lot.

So I guess the next step would be to motorize it with remote control...... 4X4 yeah, why not.
Old 04-08-2010   #4
Check out
Dave sells a single wheel deal that looks like it would work for rough terrain.
Rich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010   #5
the fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
2x4 with a couple of those same wheels screwed on either end. on the opposite side of the 2x, screw a couple of eye bolts into the wood. put that on the front side of the boat, strap it down wit a couple of NRS straps and you've got a support on at least one side. you could do it with both. don't use it in wilderness areas though. no wheels allowed. i got lectured on this last year.
By the waterside I will lay my head.
Listen to the river sing sweet songs to rock my soul.
the_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010   #6
We tried the wood and bolt thing first and it didn't go well at all. The strain on the wood quickly pulled the bolts loose and the wheels didn't want to stay upright without side braces for balance.

I like the wheel on the madcatr frames. If I ever get one of his frames, I would definitely get that option. They are made for that frame though and don't help much with my rafts. My wheels can be use on all of my cats and rafts.
Old 04-08-2010   #7
Heyburn Idaho, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2009
That's a great idea I have seen those type of wheels at the larger army surplus stores too we bought a set to make a rolling scafell
Adrenaline Junkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011   #8
Rainy Northwest, Washington
Paddling Since: 1980
Cat cart

If you have a cat, go to a thrift store and buy a little kids bmx-type bicycle. remove the front fork and handlebar from the frame, then bolt them back together. You can strap that to your frame and use it just like the Madcatr wheel. A little heavier, but mine cost about 15 bucks.

swiftwater15 is online now   Reply With Quote