Old 05-01-2016   #11
plainfield, New Jersey
Paddling Since: 1995
Hmm, do you feel folding or rolling sends you more business in the world of raft repair? I am assuming folding for the hard edges, making the Aire bag the best route for me.

jerseyjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016   #12
Paddling Since: 1994
I dont know that it matters. Every roll has some folds and every fold has a little roll. Just bag it and make sure to be aware of the edges.

zach baird
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016   #13
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
And watch where your straps cinch down (not on folds). I became sold on using our bags when once the bag zipper got garfed from a strap tightened on it. I am really careful now.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016   #14
Good point about the strap buckles. I always try and put the buckles on something that doesnt hold air. Typically the bow dring or handle is first choice. Second chioce is the spot on the floor that doesnt hold air, and then the double bottom layer or i'll try and float it in the air gap in the roll where the strap doesnt touch the boat if that makes sense.
zach baird
Old 05-01-2016   #15
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
In 30 years the only hole I've ever put in a raft (in the floor!) came during transport (it was deflated), and the brand new boat was less than 2 years old. Probably a buckle that did it. Been very careful ever since since I didn't want to cry again.

Not to start an argument, but I've also always been anti-carpet on trailers because they can hold more gravel. I'm not sure how much it matters, perhaps Zach can share his experience on that too. Either way, an old broom in the truck is a good idea, scan and/or sweep your trailer before loading every time.
DoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016   #16
Definitely patched some trailer rubs. Less than I would expect from gravel under the boat though. When boats are inflated they seem to take the vibration abrasion better. Patched more of them from rubbing on siderails, catching a corner when loading or getting dragged behind the trailer. Impressive how many boats fall off trailers. ( I'll kick myself in the nuts if I ever do that) No matter what, if you stick hard things against your boat and then let them rub, the rubber will eventually lose. The more you can pay attention the better your boat will do in the long run.

As far as carpet on trailers I don't have enough data compiled to definitively say I have done more repairs on boats with carpeted trailers. In one way it makes sense that the carpet would hold more gravel which isn't good. On another hand it puts that gravel on a surface with some give that can take some of the abrasion off the boat. I have a couple friends with carpeted trailers and have never patched rub spots on the bottom of any of their boats. That said, they all have thicker carpet than the standard thin green stuff. FWIW, my trailer is not carpeted, I do check it for gravel and I do try and load straight out of the water if possible to keep from gathering gravel on the bottom before loading.
zach baird
Old 05-02-2016   #17
Louisville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I love Mountainbuzz for giving me more things to worry about and take pains to avoid. LOL!

I did just get a red utility trailer and after a trip to Westwater I noticed quite a bit of red on my yellow tubes, no wear just color so far. My boat sits on the trailer floor but when I store my oars on one side of the boat the other side is against the trailer fence on the other side. Does anyone do anything about that? I suppose I could stuff a tarp in there.
MrScamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016   #18
Mesa, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1993
I have a bag from Harbor Freight that works well. The cargo bag for their hitch rack. On sale about 30 bucks.
Whether U Think U Can, or Think U Can't; U R Right!
scooby450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016   #19
Denver-ish, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I use pieces of foam noodle as my wear spot protectors for the obvious abrasion places.

Zach, good on you for not just staying mum in an area where you could profit from doing so!

“HOLD THE DOOR!” — Hodor
yesimapirate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016   #20
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Originally Posted by zbaird View Post
Impressive how many boats fall off trailers. ( I'll kick myself in the nuts if I ever do that)
ZB, you must be doing some serious yoga or something to be able to promise a move like that!

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote