Old 03-25-2011   #11
Yeah, about that on the sides. Fits my drybox and Yeti with a few inches to spare. I will say the higher deck isn’t as easy as lower but I have zero issues with loading the boat myself. It’s totally worth it for the cargo capacity. Just the one issue I mentioned but it’s just because of the big d-ring/handle in just the wrong place on the Vanguard. I can walk around, give it a smack, and go back to cranking though. That handle just catches on the roller when it’s coming up from the ground. Sometimes it makes it on its own, I only hook the winch strap to that one point however so I try not to overdo it. Pulls up the boat with fishing frame no problem. The strap pulls it up from the river/ground to the trailer deck level, no issues there either. I unload my heavy gear like cooler before trailering it.

Having the cargo capacity for multi-days (and day trips) I think is awesome. I know guys talk about carrying the gear in the boat on the trailer but I never have. The other cool thing about having a setup like that is being able to use it as a utility trailer as well. Not sure if you’ve already seen this concept but mine works like this: fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID= 2193&CFID=4908350&CFTOKEN= 11041588&framein=

11041588&framein= might give you some ideas. If I was just doing fishing trips all the time I might say something else, but for the 8 day Deso trips too being able to haul all that gear in the trailer and not even have anything in the car is awesome. I found mine used last year and it was one of the originals from the designer before he sold it to Mirage. Trex decking, torsion axle. Gets a lot of looks when you pop one of the wings up and lower the tailgate and two people can walk in there to grab a cooler instead of trying to crawl under the deck and wrestle it out like a lot of rigs.

Only issue is then you end up hanging out rigging or de-rigging the rest of your crews boats since it took you all of 5 minutes to get ready….

Osprey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011   #12
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1986
Thanks for the info Osprey. I would LOVE to find one of those trailers used. I like the looks of the Cascade trailer, but not the price . So, I am looking to convert a utility trailer to something similar. Lots of ideas to think about.

mukunig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011   #13
Plunk your magic twanger!
New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I know trailering can be hard on rafts, but I find it easiest ro keep the deck low and carry the loaded cooler and drybox already in the frame of Supercat. If I can't unload it at the put-in, or find help, I can take them out and unload myself. I don't know of I could load it myself if I had to lift Supercat 2 feet higher.

Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote