Raft Trailer Platform Surface - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-29-2016   #1
4Life

Moustacheville, North Carolina
Raft Trailer Platform Surface

Hi folks, I have a homemade raft trailer and I need suggestions for a safe surface to put on the platform. It's basically a 4x6 utility trailer that I built a wooden frame on top of, finished with two sheets of plywood. I have installed a fresh piece of outdoor carpet (you know, that ugly green synthetic stuff) on top of the plywood each year. Unfortunately the sun and rubbing from loading/unloading the raft eventually tears the outdoor carpet and I have to keep replacing it.

I'm looking for a more sustainable solution. Is there a more durable carpet material at Lowes? Has anyone simply painted and liquored the wood? What other ideas are there?

Thanks!

DirtBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016   #2

Basalt, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
I went to my local roofing contractor, and purchased a piece of hypalon roofing membrane. It is reinforced ,white on 1 side grey on other. They have other products
just make sure that the material is made to be exposed ; not covered with gravel.
rogwilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016   #3

glenwierd, Co.
Paddling Since: 05'
Vinyl Lattice

VOTE DONNELLY!!!
Panama Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016   #4

Eugene, Oregon
What do you do on the bottom edge to make sure it doesn't catch on the raft when you're loading up?
Old 07-31-2016   #5

Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Monstaliner. I have mine sitting in my garage and will be re-decking my trailer this winter. Doesn't transfer, doesn't absorb water, lasts a long time...yada, yada, yada.

Oh - and comes in custom colors too.
Old 08-01-2016   #6

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtBag View Post
Hi folks, I have a homemade raft trailer and I need suggestions for a safe surface to put on the platform. It's basically a 4x6 utility trailer that I built a wooden frame on top of, finished with two sheets of plywood. I have installed a fresh piece of outdoor carpet (you know, that ugly green synthetic stuff) on top of the plywood each year. Unfortunately the sun and rubbing from loading/unloading the raft eventually tears the outdoor carpet and I have to keep replacing it.

I'm looking for a more sustainable solution. Is there a more durable carpet material at Lowes? Has anyone simply painted and liquored the wood? What other ideas are there?

Thanks!
I simply cover the plywood in a good quality (not Thompson's water seal) deck sealant. I've done that for years. This year I added HDPE runners. 1/4" thick black HDPE sheeting - bought a 4x8 sheet ripped it into 4 12" strips - enough to cover the contact area of the tubes for 2 trailers.
https://www.menards.com/main/buildin...4424093579.htm

Works great for me - can slide a fully loaded 15'er off the trailer by myself. Helps ease loading as well. Slippery under the tubes and good traction between.
Old 08-01-2016   #7
4Life

Moustacheville, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Read_N_Run View Post
Monstaliner. I have mine sitting in my garage and will be re-decking my trailer this winter. Doesn't transfer, doesn't absorb water, lasts a long time...yada, yada, yada.

Oh - and comes in custom colors too.
I like this option, and I can paint my rusted Northern Tool rollers while I'm at it.

I'm curious about the texture and friction with this stuff though. I imagine the texture comes mostly from the roller used to paint it on rather than anything in the liquid itself...right? How slippery is this when dry versus wet? What I have liked about the outdoor carpet is that it's slick enough to unload my completely dry raft at the put-in. Of course when wet, I want the surface slick enough to slide the raft on but not so slick I bust my A$$!

Thanks for all the pointers folks, here's a pick of my trailer all prettied up with a new plywood deck!

DirtBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016   #8

Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I'll fess up and say I haven't used the monstaliner yet (but have it ready and weating this winter) but you can order sand additive (or pick it up at the hw store) that can be mixed in. I'm actually thinking of doing a smooth surface where the tubes rest and throwing some sand on the other areas. Here's a link to the monstaliner thread I was involved with: Spar recommendations

check in with thagoat on his experience.
Old 08-02-2016   #9

San Juan Islands, Washington
I painted the deck of mine with Rustolium, I mixed grey and white to get a light grey colour, It's held up well, No problem moving the raft around and not too slick to walk on when wet.
tomrefried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016   #10

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1998
I used some house paint on my decks. It has held up for 3 years. I figured if it works on a house, why not a trailer?
tczues is offline   Reply With Quote